Property Location

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

7 Aspire's analysis is an interesting one - I think it shows that in a good year, it doesn't matter if your property is down a narrow alley above the local nightclub, it'll still book up, but in a poor year, you could be watching your 'sea view' competitors still book up while you're wondering how to pay the mortgage.

Just as several people have already suggested, it might be worth waiting for a more suitable property to come available, rather than going ahead any buying either of the two properties you've described.
Angiey

Post by Angiey »

Thanks again for all replies and 7 Aspire for your analysis. Appreciate that. This is purely for a business point of view and not really for our dream home as we already have that in our own house. Basically what I am looking to do is for the income to pay the mortgage on the property so purely investment purposes and as we both work in Portree, would use it ourselves in the winter (If not booked) when the roads are bad with snow as we live 20 miles away so it really has to be in Portree.
Had viewings on both properties yesterday and I can say that bungalow is out. Very damp and mill dew everywhere among other things.
Flat is really good with great views although not sea views. Very little needing done to it and very quiet inside. One thing I did notice with the flat is that it is next door to a church yard with graves in it. Do you think this will have a negative effect?
Thanks again. Appreciate all your comments.
S Thain

Flat

Post by S Thain »

My holiday property is an apartment (3 bedrooms, 3 en-suites) in the Scottish Highlands (north east). It's not in a town as such, but a fishing village. Not having a garden is a bonus. I don't have sea views but the USP is that it is in a converted Church.
I rented another property - a 2 bedroom townhouse which was close to everything and didn't have a garden either (in Thurso, Caithness). While it was very near the beach, it didn't have seaviews. It appealed to couples mainly or young families (and surfers out of season) and I got a good return [it's now a long term tenancy as I haven't got the time to rent it as a holiday let due to starting up another business]. Being within walking distance to pubs and restaurants has huge appeal.
I wouldn't let not having a garden put you off as our weather is a factor and Scottish Highlands does not attract folk looking to sit in a garden enjoying the views.
You've already ruled out the 3 bedroom house, but I would seriously consider the flat as it's location sounds ideal and not much in the way of noise above and below is positive too. Your location could be your USP.
Good luck :-)
You don't get anywhere standing still.....go for it!
Angiey

Post by Angiey »

Thanks S Thain. I think everything is pointing towards the flat at the moment. I was reading TA reviews on flats in Portree centre and literally every one commented on how good the locality is . This one I am thinking of buying is actually better situated as there is no hill to climb. It is on the same level as the main st and just round the corner.
The graveyard is visible but is an old one that does not get used anymore. It also contributes to the reason why the location is so quiet and no chance of any development getting done. :shock: :lol:
I just wonder if there is anyone on here that has a graveyard close to their let that has any idea of the impact it has on bookings.
Personally it would not bother me but then I am not everyone else.