Converting a word doc to pdf - image quality deteriorates.

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
tavi

Converting a word doc to pdf - image quality deteriorates.

Post by tavi »

My guest info has photos, maps and sketches inserted amongst the text (in a very amateur fashion i.e. copy-pasted).

I create them using Word, then convert to (or rather "save as") a pdf for emailing but have just noticed that the image quality deteriorates badly.

Never noticed this before.

Is this normal or is there something I should be doing differently?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

There's an option for standard printing or publishing online. The online option is likely to compress much more.

If that brings no joy then have a look at your installed printers. Depending on what other software you have installed, you may find you have an alternative print to PDF option, which you could try.
tavi

Post by tavi »

thanks kev,

I'm not printing though, - just saving it as a pdf to email to guests. The word document's images look fine but the pdf version is much more blurry.

:?:
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

tavi wrote:thanks kev,

I'm not printing though, - just saving it as a pdf to email to guests. The word document's images look fine but the pdf version is much more blurry.

:?:
I know but you also have the option of print to PDF depending on other software installed. ie. you select print and then instead of a printer you output to a PDF driver. It's how PDFs were made before save as PDF was included in MS Word.

Did you see the options in the save as dialogue? 2 quality settings: Print or online. Check the following settings - one in options/advanced and the other under Tools in the save as dialogue.

tavi

Post by tavi »

yes I do have some options (need to go to the other computer).

So I should make the same selections you have?

Will go and play around with it. Thanks.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

tavi wrote:yes I do have some options (need to go to the other computer).

So I should make the same selections you have?

Will go and play around with it. Thanks.
Those were simply my default settings. If I make a Word doc with most of the page as an image and save to PDF, the PDF is not quite as sharp as the Word doc but pretty close. Unless I had the 2 side by side, I wouldn't have noticed the loss in quality.