Discounts for repeat customers

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Like elena, we have a high percentage of repeat bookings and a growing number of referrals; to give financial discounts doesn't make financial sense.

Plus I do like everyone to be on the same playing field, financially, which is why we never discount. What I do like to do is make sure that returning guests get some special treats while they're here. That varies according to the guests, how many times they've been etc etc, and might range from a couple of bottles of extra good wine to the full works of dinner with us.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Last year I had 45% of bookings from repeat guests, so 10% would be a bit of a whack for me. However, I do offer last years' prices to those who book before the end of the year before (if you see what I mean : 31 dec 2014 for 2015 bookings). All this means is that I consider my price increases to take effect one year on .... it's just the way that you look at the situation, really ...
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

We've only been renting about 9 months and already have a couple of loyal guests. I don't routinely offer discounts, but when previous guests have enquired, I've usually offered them a lower rate. So far I've have pretty good bookings, but it is something that I might think about over time, but like others I do try to accommodate early check-in/late check-out requests if I possibly can.
Oh I do like to be beside the sea...

www.bumblebeecottagefiley.com
Owners Direct: 8151873
teapot

Post by teapot »

Mouse wrote:No discount from us, but I would do it at the same price if we had put them up.
Like Nemo I figured early on that we couldn't take a hit at the prices we charge. 5% seemed mean but 10% was a big chunk.
We give all returning guests a bottle of champagne...but they don't know that until they arrive.

Mouse
x
Same here, a few extras + bubbly. Been grateful to returners during somewhat lean years.

We haven't issues with returning guests other than asking for additional camping/trailer tents etc on site which we refuse but In laws have had problems with those over 3 trips beginning to thinks they are shareholders and can now do what they want such as helping themselves to the kitchen gardens/greenhouse food.

Other relatives had a couple stay for 8-9 years repeatedly, husband was stressed out from work and said can they stay on another week and as it was empty they gave them the week which was nice.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
HoneypotCottages

Post by HoneypotCottages »

We offer £25.00 off per booking to returning guests no matter which cottage they stay in. We let all owners know we offer this when they sign up with us.

I do wish I'd suggested a £25.00 discount to returning guests who leave us a review and I might still do that yet :0/
Andy Smith
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Hi there we do offer repeat customers a discount thinking similarly to others as they are 'lower risk' (i.e. less likely to cause damage/trouble) and more likely to recommend and provide positive feedback. To date we haven't provided an enhanced welcome pack but think thats an idea that we will adopt as it helps to make them feel that bit more special.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Of course, if guests book direct next time instead of via HL, then they will save a huge amount in booking fees anyway - and repeat guests are unlikely to leave reviews every time they stay.

I'm not sure that giving an incentive for guests to write a review would fall foul of Trip Advisor guidelines. Those people who want to come again are incentivised to leave a review - those who don't want to come again (and who might leave a less favourable review) aren't.
- Attempts by an owner or agent of a property to boost the reputation of a business by:

Offering incentives in exchange for reviews, including discounts, upgrades or any special treatment.