Payment in euros

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
roxytoo

Payment in euros

Post by roxytoo »

I'm beginning to get a few emails from France for our property in Spain and am wondering the best way for them to pay in Euros? Have a spanish bank account so presume if I give them details of that they can pay/transfer in but was wondering if there is an easier way at no extra cost to me!! Also I presume I will have to give the rental agreement in French???? What do others think?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

As to the rental agreement, I'm not sure... our contract is in English and we haven't had a problem yet, but we haven't rented to anyone who doesn't speak English, yet.

We use PayPal to accept credit cards and deposit straight into our bank account that way. It does cost money, though, about 4% of the transaction. We also accept checks, but we wait a long time to make sure they've cleared before giving out any information. If you set up a bank transfer, I recommend using a dedicated account that's separate from your other accounts so that if anyone tries anything funny, they can't get any money from your accounts.

Cheers!
Brooke
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

I hate to tell you, but a cleared cheque is rarely a guarantee that you will be able to keep the money. A cheque can be "bounced" months after it has cleared in the recipients account. :cry:

I guess that a bank transfer is the only really reliable way to get paid, although we haven't gone down that route at all yet.
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

It can bounce months afterward? We have been waiting two weeks on top of the bank's usual process...

...thankfully this is rarely a problem because most people pay by credit card and even people who write checks do it many, many months in advance.

Thanks!
Brooke
Ju

Post by Ju »

I would think that bank transfers are probably the best way to go, but even that is unlikely to be at no cost.

I'm not sure about Spain, but in France the banks charge you to cash a cheque in Euros from anywhere other than France, and I seem to remember it's quite expensive, we only did it once.

One thing to note though, French cheques are not like English ones, they don't bounce. It is illegal to write a cheque in France for which you have insuffitiant funds in your account, and once presented to a bank the cheque cannot be cancelled. This is why cheque guarantee cards do not exist in France.

I'm not sure about whether you need to put your conditions into French. We have not yet had any French bookings, but we have had a couple of Norwegian bookings, for which we just used our English conditions. The Norwegians are better known for speaking good English though! Perhaps you could get some standard conditions from a French site such as Gites de France or Clevacances, it might be worth a try.

Ju