Legionella checks

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Dotty

Legionella checks

Post by Dotty »

Just a heads up -- I've been told by my agent for residential lets in UK there is now a legal requirement that all the water systems in each letting property must be professionally checked for legionella every 2 years. (I don't know whether it applies to holiday lets too).

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Interesting. Thanks for the links. Those FAQs do say you can do the checks yourself!

The letter from our agent keeps referring to something called ACOP L8, which is apparently recent changes to the law and has legal status, stating that it is now a requirement that landlords of residential properties must have an assessment (their underlining). The letter they sent us also includes this: "The risk assessment survey must be performed by a professionally trained and accredited body, and to this end we can arrange an approved contractor......" ..... "...we are sure you will understand this is a legal requirement".

I'll maybe give them a ring later, but will probably go with their contractors so as not to 'rock the boat' and for peace of mind.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

This is what an employer/landlord must do. http://www.hse.gov.uk/legionnaires/what-you-must-do.htm

From your agent
The risk assessment survey must be performed by a professionally trained and accredited body, and to this end we can arrange an approved contractor
As opposed to
The appointed responsible person could be one, or a combination of:
yourself
one or more workers
someone from outside your business
Therefore you may choose to employ the services of a competent person, but must suggests that their pockets will be lined by the commission they will get for recommending the said contractor. :roll:

Post by Guest »

Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I've been on the phone to them and got transferred to their legal person. They say the requirements changed at the end of the year. As I understand what they were saying, they agreed that the legal requirement is not for a certified body, you can do it yourself, BUT that in the unlikely event that there was an actual incidence of legionella you, the owner, are entirely liable legally and can be sued and fined if you don't have the certificate from the accredited body, but with the certificate you're OK.

In the UK we have 2 small 1 bed rental houses - they both have standard domestic water supplies to bathroom & kitchen and central heating, no air con etc. One has a cold water tank in the loft, which burst at Christmas and the agents arranged for a new replacement. They say that neither they nor the installer have any obligation to ensure the installation conforms nor can/will certify it for legionella as they can't guarantee that down the line that it won't develop it, and yet this accredited body can issue a certificate at a snapshot at one point in time when they inspect it that's valid for 2 years. Its a crazy law that one snapshot view protects you legally and the other doesn't and neither is actually any guarantee that the system is going to be free of it at some later date.(....same as gas certificate).

Post by Guest »

Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CSE

Post by CSE »

It seems it is an obligatory check.
That PDF says Who is this leaflet aimed at?
amongst the list is states
● hostels;
● landlords in the private renting sector;
● managing agents;
● hoteliers, B&B, guest house and holiday camp owners; and
● caravan and camping site owners, including fixed caravan sites.
Reading this link:
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/content/l ... legionella
What it does not specifically say holiday lets are exempt. It does say it is the duty of either the agent or the landlord. It comes down to the law to classify you as a landlord when you rent out holiday vacations units.
So it seems if you employ an agent then the answer is yes.
It is just another check to add to the list;
* Fire safety regulations,
* Gas safety regulations,
* Electrical checks,
* Swimming pool or hot tub regulations (if you have one of these)
* Your on water supply also means checks,
* etc etc etc. :shock:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.

Post by Guest »

Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CSE

Post by CSE »

reading the link in the above post it says check. But on then call it making a risk assessment, call it an evaluation of the risks, call it an evaluation.
It boils down to the fact this still looks like another burden for you, the rental let owner.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

After reading this thread I have done a Legionella risk assessment - thank you Dotty.

I based mine on my fire risk assessment so it is on one page and can be added to my guest information file.

Happy to share if anybody wants it. (Not saying it's any good though :) )

Jen
ARealHighlander

Post by ARealHighlander »

Should you feel the need, HSE supply a free Audit/inspection form that you can use.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/ck02.pdf