Surreal......

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
greenbarn

Surreal......

Post by greenbarn »

Thought I'd share a link to these photographs which I found stunning, if puzzling. Skill, imagination ......... and Photoshop!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 52565.html
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Seen a couple before, very interesting, thanks for the link
What would Plato do ?
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Nice link, thanks GB. Some of them give me the same upside down sense that René Magritte gave me when I first encountered his work when I was about 13/14. Still think he's wonderful.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Normandie wrote:Nice link, thanks GB. Some of them give me the same upside down sense that René Magritte gave me when I first encountered his work when I was about 13/14. Still think he's wonderful.
He claims to be influenced by Magritte among others. In my yoof I liked some of the posters of work by Sam Haskins; I wonder what he'd have done with Photoshop instead of the hours of darkroom trickery and endless supply of apples.

I find it hard to choose a favourite - some are quite thought-provoking, others downright comical, but I keep getting drawn back to the artist in front of his canvas - no, wait, he's on his canvas. Maybe.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I liked the tear down the perforated road centre line... and the guy pulling the road straight behind him.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Some of them are very Escher influenced. Very clever; I do like the first one very much..
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

greenbarn wrote: In my yoof I liked some of the posters of work by Sam Haskins; I wonder what he'd have done with Photoshop
Sam Haskins - particularly his famous and enduring book 'Cowboy Kate' - was hugely influential to overly earnest 1970s photo students like me, determined only to document the 'human condition' in depressingly gritty black and white. Sam's amusing approach, mastery of black and white (and colour) imagery and clever montages forced me and others like me to lighten up a bit - and that was no bad thing! This was long before photoshop, when image manipulation was hard, hard work.

Looking back at 'Kate'; perhaps the words haven't worn too well for modern sensibilities (published in the 1960s) , but photographic sequencing bounced off text is something that I still use and enjoy today. Thank you, Sam.

http://www.haskins.com/CbyKate/Kate_p12.html
Jim
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Jimbo wrote:
greenbarn wrote: In my yoof I liked some of the posters of work by Sam Haskins; I wonder what he'd have done with Photoshop
Sam Haskins - particularly his famous and enduring book 'Cowboy Kate' - was hugely influential to overly earnest 1970s photo students like me, determined only to document the 'human condition' in depressingly gritty black and white. Sam's amusing approach, mastery of black and white (and colour) imagery and clever montages forced me and others like me to lighten up a bit - and that was no bad thing! This was long before photoshop, when image manipulation was hard, hard work.

Looking back at 'Kate'; perhaps the words haven't worn too well for modern sensibilities (published in the 1960s) , but photographic sequencing bounced off text is something that I still use and enjoy today. Thank you, Sam.

http://www.haskins.com/CbyKate/Kate_p12.html
Thanks for that link Jim!