Homelidays- translations into other languages

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Rocky

Homelidays- translations into other languages

Post by Rocky »

From what I gather, if we want our titles and text translated into the other languages on homelidays, we have to do it ourselves. (I'm a bit unsure as now my listing is pending and I can no longer view it).
If this is the case, I would be willing to do some Italian translations in exchange for having someone translate my text into other languages. (spanish, dutch, german, french).
The text on this site is pretty limited anyway, so the translations won't be too long. I would offer this to someone who speaks the language perfectly and can do it well - and promise to do the same. (I speak excellent French but assume I would make some embarassing mistakes as it's not my mother tongue - so would rather have someone else do it).
Anyone?
janskov

Post by janskov »

I have found that if you have German, Italian and French text on your add the guests will expect you to speak the language.
That has caused me problems a couple of times where I have used "babel fish" with not-so-good results.
Rocket Rab

Re: Homelidays- translations into other languages

Post by Rocket Rab »

Rocky wrote:I speak excellent French but assume I would make some embarassing mistakes as it's not my mother tongue
As a professional translator, I do agree with Rocky....if you want good results, you should always get a native speaker to do your translation....
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

It's Catch 22 then ? You are undoubtably right but as janskov has found out- you are then expected to be fluent in that language too.Doh !! :?
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Fraise,

Well, that is obviously something you need to think about before you go ahead with a translation.....
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm not sure you have to be fluent - certainly for the website I did the french version myself then got it checked over by one of my French friends. I've always done e mail correspondence myself and although now my French is probably close to fluent, it was definitely rusty A level when I arrived in France, however you find a lot of the e mail correspondence follows a set format so it wasn't too difficult to make myself understood.
Not sure I'd want to try German though!
I get bookings from all over Europe and most either address me in French or English (we have some Norweigans staying this week who did everything in English) so you can get by with a couple of languages quite easily.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

How many years does a person have to live in a foreign country before you speak that country's language as a native?

Does it go up with age?

Just curious.
Brooke
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

'Fluent' is a term I would only use to describe someone who speaks, and possibly writes, as well as a native speaker.

I don't think you do have to be fluent - thank goodness - to correspond with potential guests. As long as the message gets across, that is the main thing.

I do believe, however, that a good quality translation written in the style of a native speaker enhances the overall presentation of your website, i.e. your product.