Air con costs in Italy

For topics that are specific to Italy, please go here.
ianthy

Air con costs in Italy

Post by ianthy »

Ciao tutti

We are thinking about an apt for the future and would def need air conditioning for the summer months. Our home in Italy is in the hills so it's not required. Can anyone please provide some info regarding the cost of installation in an apt, running costs and how you manage this with your guests.

Thanks for reading.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Hi ianthy, we have a/c in both our apartment and the rental. The cost of the conditioners depends on the make you eventually purchase. They are usually cheaper to buy in the winter months as well. Installation is not prohibitive but I can't give you a low down as this has always been done in conjunction with other work. However, I am having 2 new units installed this spring at home so could give you this info when the work is complete. (I bought the conditioners in November at a reasonable price).

Regarding your query about handling this with your guests. I make an extra daily charge for a/c payable on site if they request it. It's not often requested (except by the Americans) as the rental is actually quite cool in the hot months.

I give them the remotes and they pay me upfront for the full stay but should they then decide it is not necessary and return the remotes I reimburse the days they won't be using it.

Yes, a/c is expensive here, or rather the electricity that it consumes, and the rental even more so as the electricity contract had to be made out as a second home with wattage charges higher than for your first home (official residence).

Hope this helps.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

pambon wrote:Hi ianthy, we have a/c in both our apartment and the rental. The cost of the conditioners depends on the make you eventually purchase. They are usually cheaper to buy in the winter months as well. Installation is not prohibitive but I can't give you a low down as this has always been done in conjunction with other work. However, I am having 2 new units installed this spring at home so could give you this info when the work is complete. (I bought the conditioners in November at a reasonable price).

Regarding your query about handling this with your guests. I make an extra daily charge for a/c payable on site if they request it. It's not often requested (except by the Americans) as the rental is actually quite cool in the hot months.

I give them the remotes and they pay me upfront for the full stay but should they then decide it is not necessary and return the remotes I reimburse the days they won't be using it.

Yes, a/c is expensive here, or rather the electricity that it consumes, and the rental even more so as the electricity contract had to be made out as a second home with wattage charges higher than for your first home (official residence).

Hope this helps.
Hi Pambon

Thanks for the info. We are also on second home Enel tariff 6kw so not cheap. The only upside is that we have photovoltaic panels that feed elec into the grid, so our bills are reasonable. Plus there is the income from the feed in tariff too.

Please do send the info ref installation when you have work completed. My sense is that the units and work is not expensive - as you say it's the running costs. I have a friend in Imola with a large villa 6 beds and mainly American guests. Her elec bill is €1k - €1.5k k a month and most of it is A/C.

I am thinking of AC for installation in an apt. So less units and newer technology should help the elec bills down.

Thks again.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Hi ianthy

Haven't forgotten about this issue! Contacted my installer yesterday and he'll be getting round to do the job shortly as the weather has FINALLY improved and he can dangle from the fifth floor without being battered by the wind!
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

pambon wrote:Hi ianthy

Haven't forgotten about this issue! Contacted my installer yesterday and he'll be getting round to do the job shortly as the weather has FINALLY improved and he can dangle from the fifth floor without being battered by the wind!
cheers. :)