domain name help

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
pachypach

domain name help

Post by pachypach »

I have a free weebly website as last year was our first year last year renting out our house, so far so good. (I designed the site).
http://giteinfrance.weebly.com/

I am thinking of buying a domain name (through weebly)
Our house is calle Le Deran (we are in Brittany)
Would I be better having the domaine name as:
LeDeran
lederan (small letters, if it makes a difference)
or lederangite?
anything else?

please note I am not very technically savvy!!
thanks for all help
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

From a search engine POV it probably won't make a lot of difference - Google has domain name well down its list of priorities though it must count marginally as search terms which form part of the domain address are highlighted in search results. From a user-friendly POV short and simple is best. If you're using your house name as part of the domain name then it won't have ANY affect on search results unless you're interested in getting up the rankings when people are searching for the name of your house, as opposed to when they are searching for something like "gites in Morbihan" or whatever. Unless you think you have a chance of making your site appear on page one of results for general searches which are nothing to do with the name of your gite, and believe me it'll take a lot more than the choice of domain name, then LeDeran is fine and perfectly memorable.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

My tactic has basically been to mention the name of my property relentlessly in listings so that people start to search for the finca by name. Purchasing a 'lovelyfincainspain.com' domain would not have driven much traffic, or at least not much focused traffic, so I opted for my property's name. I am fairly certain that tech gurus will tell me that I am 100% wrong in this! :mrgreen:
pachypach

Post by pachypach »

thanks for your replies, LeDeran it is then :-)
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Quite - in the last couple of years it's become increasingly difficult to compete with the big OTAs for page one on generic searches, so my own view is for most of us our personal sites are better off targeting niche searches.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.