Cost of heating for winter lets

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
ianthy

Cost of heating for winter lets

Post by ianthy »

Hi

Occasionally we get bookings for our Villa in Italy during the winter/colder periods. Normally it's groups/biz folks visiting the Bologna Fiera. My slight worry is always the cost of gas heating in Italy is expensive at 4.22 euros per unit of gas. The last group have just left and I have just done the calculations and the bill including showers and heating is €483 for 6 nights! Thankfully I take a damage/keys deposit so there is enough to cover it.

We have 3 wood burners and also provide wood free of charge. Our local house keeper will asks guests if they wish to have the heating on and if yes - she shows them how to control the temp and switch it off if they wish. Of course they never do. Interestingly, I had a group of Italians stay a couple of years ago during Xmas and New Year and they never turned the heating on - they knew the cost of gas and used the wood burners for their entire 10 day stay.

Just wondering if there is anything I should/could do? as I would like more bookings during the shoulder/colder periods but the cost of gas may be off putting to potential guests.

Thanks for reading.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

The only thing I can suggest is that you charge for it separately. I am not sure how feasible this is, it depends on whether you have meters to read etc. but its the only way to focus their attention on the issue.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Dusty wrote:The only thing I can suggest is that you charge for it separately. I am not sure how feasible this is, it depends on whether you have meters to read etc. but its the only way to focus their attention on the issue.
Thks for the repl, I already charge separately for the gas used in the winter/colder periods. Our local housekeeper takes photos of the meter readings etc and I just calculate the costs. It's the only way, as winter/colder lets are cheaper rate and it would not be worthwhile letting if I didn't charge separately for gas usage above. I usually allow £100 per week in the price of booking.

Thks
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Ouch Ianthy! I had no idea gas costs were so high in Italy. As a potential British guest I could have easily had it on oblivious to the cost, but maybe would have used the wood burners more if I had been aware of the impact. Do you make it clear to the guests the true exorbitant costs? Could you write something in your welcome brochure encouraging them to use the wood burners in the interests of saving the planet let alone the costs. You say you already charge separately for gas, so do you mean you only take a £100.00 security deposit, so there is not enough funds to cover the bill? If so, I would increase the deposit amount significantly but I would also highlight to guests the reasons for this. I'm sure if they realised the size of the bill they were going to be ratcheting up, they would use it more responsibly.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Bunny wrote:Ouch Ianthy! I had no idea gas costs were so high in Italy. As a potential British guest I could have easily had it on oblivious to the cost, but maybe would have used the wood burners more if I had been aware of the impact. Do you make it clear to the guests the true exorbitant costs? Could you write something in your welcome brochure encouraging them to use the wood burners in the interests of saving the planet let alone the costs. You say you already charge separately for gas, so do you mean you only take a £100.00 security deposit, so there is not enough funds to cover the bill? If so, I would increase the deposit amount significantly but I would also highlight to guests the reasons for this. I'm sure if they realised the size of the bill they were going to be ratcheting up, they would use it more responsibly.
Hi Bunny

In our rental agree it states that we have included £100 per week towards the cost of utilities. For winter/colder weather bookings, we will check the meter and deduct the first £100 of gas usage per week. I think you are right - we rarely get bookings that require heating but a note in the book of the house would probably help guests to decide if to have the heating on and controlling the temp too.

Thks
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

My gas is bottled so I'm not sure how I'd monitor consumption. I did have guests early this month when overnight temperatures were about 0C and of course they had the heating on (and the wood burner). I did state that I would leave a supply of wood for the burner, but the gas expended could have been quite significant as the heating is not on a timer. During the summer I charge a supplement for air con so perhaps in the winter I should charge a supplement for having the CH on, but how much? My air con supplement is €70 per week which may be too cheap given the price of electricity in Spain. My low season rental price is so competitive I could well end up making a loss unless I get my act together. A daily CH premium seems the way to go - and for me installing a timer is a further way to go!
Last edited by Casscat on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

You definitely need to focus their minds on why they are being charged and that it is the cost you have to pay rather than you being greedy.

We had guests a few years ago and the chap stood on my doorstep in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops asking if they could have the heating on! I so wanted to suggest he put some more clothes on and then we'd review the need for heating .....................
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Hi

Good news just got a reply back from our supplier - VulcanGas, they have reduced our price down from 1.14 to .89 cents a litre.

Thks again for the info, which I used to get a better price.
ellerhow

Post by ellerhow »

[We had guests a few years ago and the chap stood on my doorstep in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops asking if they could have the heating on! I so wanted to suggest he put some more clothes onquote]
In our final email prior to guests arrival we always put ''don't forget your wellies, woollies and waterproofs as Cumbrian weather is changeable''
Didn't stop the tea-shirt, shorts and flip-flop brigade who turned up last week-end but most people do seem to take heed.[/quote]
booboo

Post by booboo »

What about putting in OFCH, I do know that you can have a boiler run three way.
teapot

Post by teapot »

I can only suggest insulation, that is the best way to lower energy usage.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

teapot wrote:I can only suggest insulation, that is the best way to lower energy usage.
Couldn't agree more. A friend with an uninsulated flat roof had it insulated last week using this: http://building.dow.com/eu/gbr/en/produ ... ofmate.htm
They put 2 layers of 40mm (one would not have been enough in our climate). Over 120m2 the cost of the material was €840 per layer plus labour. You would simply not believe the difference. She used to have indoor temps about 5º higher than outside and on Sunday with outside still only 26 (it will get over 40 in summer on exposed areas) it was 21º inside! You really felt it when you walked in.

Obviously it will help keep the heat in in winter too.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com