What guests really want in a villa...

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Entirelyidentifiable

Post by Entirelyidentifiable »

Thing is absolutely none of the villas in the area charge for electricity with a meter reading. Quite a lot make a charge for aircon use but it is a set fee, so I'm not sure I would be comfortable charging based on a meter reading.

From the other side of this, as a rental guest I have left air con on sometimes and just didn't really think about the cost for the owner (or environment) which I feel bad about now! I'm sure most people would turn it off much more if they actually thought about it.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Entirelyidentifiable wrote: I'm sure most people would turn it off much more if they actually thought about it.
You will see from your first peak season electricity bill this is not the case :wink:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Entirelyidentifiable

And I doubt they think about it anyway. Definitely steering clear of living room air con then and I will get those sensors for the bedroom ones that turn it off after a while with no movement in the room! Plus I will batten down the hatches for the bills all the same.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

The problem with using sensors in the bedroom is that the air con will switch off when people are asleep if they have left it on to allow comfort during a muggy night thereby waking them up!
tavi

Post by tavi »

Hi, EI.

Just some more thoughts for you to mull.

Pool heating - we get our pool (at home) up to 30 degrees in the high summer using only a bubble cover. It's in full sun all day, 10m x 5m so not a small pool, however it's not super deep and this helps. (Probably 2m deep end, 1.20m at shallow end). Obviously for year round heating you need some help. Have you thought of solar panels if you have room?

Ceiling fans. Look good and some people might even use them in preference to the aircon when sleeping?

Wood burning stove - lots of people use them in winter around here. Very cosy, help to dry the air which can be damp when you have big day/night temp differences as we do in the winter.

De-humidifiers...ditto above.

Dual electric tariff - only worth it if house is occupied all year round but night time tariff is 45% cheaper.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Morning, EI.

We're just about to test some new "beepers" for the air con. You can set these so that although the guest sets the temperature to, say, 17C (brrr!), the air con unit will only drop the room temperature down to 24C (or whatever other figure you set). So the guest is happy 'cos they think they're getting their money's worth of usage, and you're happy 'cos your electricity bill won't be too horrendous.

We have solar panels both at home and at the cottage to pump the pools. Because the water is being pumped every daylight hour, there is no warm top 6" or so while the deeper water is decidedly chilly in comparison - it's all the same temperature. If you do go down this route, keep the electric pump because there will be occasions when there is insufficient sunshine to vac the pool on a changeover day, or you need to add chemicals and need the pump running to circulate the stuff.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Entirelyidentifiable

You lot are fabulous! Such great info.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

If anyone in France is looking for aircon my local brico depot is selling 2.6kw split inverter systems for 250€ (reduced from 439€) that can be self installed with a kit for an extra 100€. These prices may go down because a couple month i picked up 4 discounted to 150€ the next day they were back to 439€. Very easy to install one i used in the games room and the other 3 in my largest gite which is now has full air-conditioning.
Bree

Post by Bree »

Just my experience on charging for Air con, when I did charge for air con as an extra charge, I found my bills were higher than when air con is included. I think it may be something to do with the mindset we have paid for it we must get our moneys worth!! Pool heating and air con are expensive but you do get those extra bookings. We have air con all over the villa and we do use the heat setting ourselves on the cooler evenings it just seems to warm the room quicker than the radiators.
Re the bars on the window, I love leaving the windows open so haven't had an thoughts on removing them, to be honest you don't notice them after awhile. They are definitely useful in the downstairs bedrooms or rooms not used much during the day as you can let the air in and they are good security.
A good alarm is also essential we have the one that you can turn on at night while sleeping. I think it is essential if you are renting.
Entirelyidentifiable

I'm pretty obsessed with security at home after a couple of near misses and am religious about setting the alarm downstairs at night. I will have to see how it is set up at the villa - there is a decent looking system in place but I don't know what night settings there will be given there are downstairs bedrooms.

There is an option to have it monitored by the condo security company so we will probably pay for that for peace of mind.

Bars - still unsure about fire safety but I see your point.
Definitely getting the air con for the three bedrooms that don't already have it and I have got a quote for this from one firm but will seek more.

As we won't be able to get out there initially for a few weeks, I've got my parents heading out there to manage a few quotes/ installations and check what needs replacing/ is missing. They will be tasked with testing all four bedrooms on different nights!