Do I need a website?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

My website generates very little in terms of absolute bookings, but I use it t support my Facebook page, my adverts on various sites, and as a means of being visible, its part of a suite of tools IMHO.

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
Vince

Post by Vince »

964kevin wrote:My website generates very little in terms of absolute bookings
I was going to say "That's a shame, because it could" but then saw that you're mostly booked out anyway :D
Gwion

Post by Gwion »

Normandie wrote:Someone (fairly mischievously, I think) posed the do I need a website? question last year. This is a link to the discussion. The poster did, iIrc, go on to build (or redo) his website. :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=22332&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Ooo, that was me. And I'm being slated on that thread for not following up. So I'm going to reply over on that one if that's ok.
Self Catering Accommodation
http://dioni.co.uk
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Gwion wrote:
Ooo, that was me. And I'm being slated on that thread for not following up. So I'm going to reply over on that one if that's ok.
Way too late. You were trampled to death :lol:
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

We have only had a few bookings via our website so far but are very proud of it! It feels like quite an achievement to have made one (even if we did cheat by using PMP, which we found brilliant). I think its nice that people can see extra photos etc and we also use it as a bit of a guest information book. You can waste hours on a lazy sunday adding content etc to it!
We are a bit sneaky, we have put the name of our place all over our commission based listings with the hope that we get googled!!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Astorchamonix wrote: We are a bit sneaky, we have put the name of our place all over our commission based listings with the hope that we get googled!!
That's what I have done Astorchamonix. What this does mean is that often bookings via your web site actually were not via your web site strictly speaking as they first saw you on a third party site. You need to ask your 'direct' bookings where they first encountered you to make sure you know how effective your site is at attracting genuinely direct interest. My website bookings have all started life via my OD listing.
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

Casscat, I suspect that most 'direct' website enquiries come via the OD/HA etc platform. I'm not sure people find us from AirBNB though as my impression on here is that it is busy professionals jus wanting to book now who can't be bothered faffing around (which is fine as we have higher rates on here!). If you search 'boutique apartment chamonix' then we come up first on Google but I doubt anyone does this.......if you search 'chamonix apartment' we don't come even in the first 10 pages (gave up looking after this). Am trying to use social media a bit but it's hard to know whether you are reaching anyone out there (I doubt it!). Bookings pretty healthy though for summer and winter season. Have a sprinkling of mid season bookings but would be nice to get a few more......I think I've tried everything I can think of for this!!!