Information Required By Guest for Transfer

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Casscat

Information Required By Guest for Transfer

Post by Casscat »

My first non-UK prospective guest is trying to send a deposit to me and I have provided the IBAN and SWIFT. He now says that his bank requires my full address. Does this sound usual? I haven't a problem with providing it, but I am not accustomed to having to and I am of course always on the alert for any possible fraud. Do banks need this now for overseas transfers? The sum involved is only a matter of €237.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Yes we have been asked several times for the address of the bank. We now have a preprinted doc. with all details on to send out.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I've been asked for my bank address several times but never my home address.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

It is my home address I am being asked for. I have given the bank details and the SWIFT code identifies the bank but not the branch address.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Not unusual. Some banks want it, others don't.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Yep, nothing to be concerned about - as Marks says, some banks need it, others don't.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Okay :) Just not been asked before, but then I haven't taken an overseas booking before. I have absolutely no reason to think that this guest is even remotely dodgy.
tavi

Post by tavi »

yup. been (rarely) asked for both bank address and my own.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Thanks for the reassurance. I am just on my guard because these scammy types are getting ever more sophisticated in their information gathering techniques and I don't want to be taken for a mug by a plausible shyster. I do not get that vibe at all from this guest though.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Casscat wrote:Thanks for the reassurance. I am just on my guard because these scammy types are getting ever more sophisticated in their information gathering techniques and I don't want to be taken for a mug by a plausible shyster. I do not get that vibe at all from this guest though.
you're absolutely right casscat - in my case I was also quite confident it was a genuine request, but I certainly wouldn't accept such a request from any old riff-raff. (and never click on a link within an email as I'm so fond of saying)
linda que linda

Post by linda que linda »

tavi wrote:yup. been (rarely) asked for both bank address and my own.
+1
Some banks ask for the home address others just want the bank's address.