what does this mean?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Fraise

what does this mean?

Post by Fraise »

Hi. I've had a mail from another listing site asking me to join but one sentence puzzles me. What does it mean ?

" * * * * .com does not store images on this website we only save a link to an image from another website. This means that you need to upload your images to another website so that a link can be made. The ideal method for doing this is to link to images on your existing holiday home website so that when you change the images on your website the images on your * * * * com listing are also changed automatically (assuming image filenames remain the same). "
Is this usual? It rang alarm bells for me but maybe unnecessarily? :?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Fraise, hi

In my limited experience this is unusual and could lead to copyright problems.

Having uploaded images to a rental listing site, they sometimes optimise them, and then identify their work by renaming (or otherwise) and claiming copyright. Dubious area - needs a guru.

MGoat
janskov

Post by janskov »

I have seen this on a couple of German sites.
The method will save bandwidth and disk space for the web site in question.
The problem is that some browsers may be configured in a way that prevents this.
The browser will protect themselves against malicious images by specifying something like "no images from 3. party sites" - or whatever.
And there could easily be copyright issues if you do not take the images from your own website.
Other than that - I don't see any dangers.