OD - Quoting

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Just typical! I've had my first enquiry from OD just to test it. The quote was wrong - no surprises there! Luckily I'm fully booked for the dates they want but it quoted £400 when it should be £300.

I cannot work their system to quote correctly. I divide my week into two short breaks, 3 nights (minimum) Friday to Monday and four nights (minimum) Monday to Friday.

I cannot see a way of creating any permutation that fits that scenario. I've tried adding nightly rates, weekend rates etc, but nothing works. If I delete nightly rates, then they'll simply get a divide by 7 rate which is also incorrect.

To get round the response rate, I have set up an email which says I'll respond in detail shortly and then responded from my own email system. Do I need to do anything else?

Can anyone find a way to make it work?
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

Nemo wrote:
I cannot work their system to quote correctly. I divide my week into two short breaks, 3 nights (minimum) Friday to Monday and four nights (minimum) Monday to Friday.

I cannot see a way of creating any permutation that fits that scenario. I've tried adding nightly rates, weekend rates etc, but nothing works. If I delete nightly rates, then they'll simply get a divide by 7 rate which is also incorrect.

To get round the response rate, I have set up an email which says I'll respond in detail shortly and then responded from my own email system. Do I need to do anything else?

Can anyone find a way to make it work?
Hi Nemo
I've got fairly close to a solution for you. You haven't said what percentage of the weekly rate you charge for your short breaks, but for this example I'm going to assume 70%.

For your daily rate insert 17.5% of the weekly rate (that is 70 divided by 4 for your 4 day stays)

Opt for 3 days minimum stay.

Click 'advanced settings' and tick the box for weekend rates and also tick JUST Fri and sat. Then insert a daily rate of 26.25% of the weekly rate (which is 70 - 17.5 =52.50 divided by 2)

Obviously adjust the sums if your required percentage is different to 70%.

I think this will work for most scenarios other than if someone requests a 3 day stay during the week where it will allow it even though you only allow 4 day stays. But for standard 3 night weekends and 4 night week stays it comes up with the right number.

Newtoit
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Very sad. I've been with OD for years. They used to be great, now they are awful for me. The new site took a while and change of password to get in, then a load of " how great are we" blurb. Not great for an owner with just one property, maybe OK for multiple units ? I shall not renew this summer. :(
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Newtoit Whilst your solution may work for stays up to a week, for 10 day stays it doesn't.

We price 10 day stays as a 7 night stay and a 3 night short break. OD want to price it as a 10 night stay on 7 night pro-rata prices.

Whilst I appreciate some people may price like this, ECC etc does not because if the 10 night stay includes 2 weekends, the weekends are then priced too cheaply.

OD allow you to price the weekends higher, but then the weekday prices come at a too low price as they seem to calculate these pro-rata based on weekly prices taking into account the higher weekend prices.
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

newtimber wrote:Newtoit Whilst your solution may work for stays up to a week, for 10 day stays it doesn't.

We price 10 day stays as a 7 night stay and a 3 night short break. OD want to price it as a 10 night stay on 7 night pro-rata prices.

Whilst I appreciate some people may price like this, ECC etc does not because if the 10 night stay includes 2 weekends, the weekends are then priced too cheaply.
Yes - I would choose to charge exactly as OD have opted. The reason being that although 2 weekends are involved I haven't had to pay for an additional clean or linen change for those 3 extra nights.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Newtoit wrote:
Yes - I would choose to charge exactly as OD have opted. The reason being that although 2 weekends are involved I haven't had to pay for an additional clean or linen change for those 3 extra nights.
If you belong to the English quality scheme, you have to offer weekly linen changes...
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

:evil: Auto quotes are the work of the devil. I really don't want anyone quoting on my behalf :cry:

So - I have a discount I apply for family and less than 7 adults groups. But that won't be applied when an auto quote is requested.
If I put the lower price in then I would have to show it is for these group types and that there is an additional charge for 7 or 8 adult groups.
It's a small thing compared to what some of you are having to battle with though :cry:

Just WHO is this website supposed to be set up for? They're showing they have no understanding of the business they are in.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I hate auto-quotes too.
I've now added a note to my rates notes to warn people the auto-quote is beyond my control and may be inaccurate.
Lounging on the lily pad...
GRL

Post by GRL »

OD is supposed to be ringing me this afternoon to talk through the system for adding our prices. I will report back later.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Yes, I got a message from them on FB that they'd phone me this afternoon too. Won't be here this afternoon, in fact, but I know you'll carry the banner admirably, Rosie and hopefully I can follow on later!

Break a leg :lol:
GRL

Post by GRL »

French Cricket wrote:Yes, I got a message from them on FB that they'd phone me this afternoon too. Won't be here this afternoon, in fact, but I know you'll carry the banner admirably, Rosie and hopefully I can follow on later!

Break a leg :lol:
Merci m'dear :) Either Simon or I will be in as we are waiting for a delivery.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Mouse wrote:So - I have a discount I apply for family and less than 7 adults groups. But that won't be applied when an auto quote is requested.
If I put the lower price in then I would have to show it is for these group types and that there is an additional charge for 7 or 8 adult groups.
Mousie, I'm in exactly the same position but I do it the other way around i.e. I don't offer a discount but base all my pricing on 6 and have additional fees for 7 of 8 groups. I've tested additional charges this morning and it is now quoting correctly. It's not ideal but it does work. I use the term 'correctly' very loosely of course. The price is only correct for full weekly lets and not short breaks. :cry:
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Rosie wrote:OD is supposed to be ringing me this afternoon to talk through the system for adding our prices. I will report back later.
Much appreciated. I look forward to your report. :D
GRL

Post by GRL »

Still waiting.

In the meantime this is how Brittany Ferries get around the variable pricing issue. This is our advert with the rate given as a weekly range of our low to high season. Then click on "see all rental rates" for a table of our variable night rates. They could easily add another column for weekend rates if needed. http://www.holidayfrancedirect.co.uk/ho ... entalRates
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

They also said they'd ring me. Still waiting.... and not sure I can face the call when it comes either. :roll: