Advise please on enquires, what can you ask legally?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Casscat wrote:
tom32s wrote: ...was wondering if it was appropriate to ask there reasons for the stay.
No, it is not appropriate to ask them the reason for their stay. Sometimes you just have to take people on trust. Sometimes that process will let you down, but the vast majority of times it won't. If I was holidaying with friends and was asked the 'reason for my stay' I would find it a most peculiar question and would probably jog on to another listing.
I think that says it.
It's easy to overlook the simplest test of all - if you were the guest, how would you react?
If you apply that test to a lot of things, it's a very good start point and gets you taking the remote view.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

greenbarn wrote:
Casscat wrote:
tom32s wrote: ...was wondering if it was appropriate to ask there reasons for the stay.
No, it is not appropriate to ask them the reason for their stay. Sometimes you just have to take people on trust. Sometimes that process will let you down, but the vast majority of times it won't. If I was holidaying with friends and was asked the 'reason for my stay' I would find it a most peculiar question and would probably jog on to another listing.
I think that says it.
It's easy to overlook the simplest test of all - if you were the guest, how would you react?
If you apply that test to a lot of things, it's a very good start point and gets you taking the remote view.
Ooops, well I have asked the nature of guests' stay in the past when I've felt uncomfortable. Although I have backed it up with an explanation as to why I was asking. Not one seemed affronted and responded positively with the information. For example I had a group of single men and thought they were a stag party. They assured me they were middle aged and were walking The Ridgeway. It's not a question I have asked often but I wouldn't hesitate to ask again if alarm bells were ringing.
Tom, my set up is exactly the same as yours so I understand your concerns.
PipR

Post by PipR »

Marks wrote:I would not take a booking without knowing:

Name, address and phone number of the person who booked
Names & ages of the people staying
Me too and if they refused I would simply cancel the booking. My booking T&C's also specifically state that the person responsible for the booking has to be 18 years or older and that we reserve the right to refuse any booking.
tom32s

Post by tom32s »

I have to admit I always ask when I can if the party is a stag or hen do, as this seems to work in response from the potential customer. They usually reassure and give you a bit more information on the group and reasons. But In the scenario in questions within there enquiry they said there is 3 couples, so the ole 'are you a hen or stag group' isn't really appropriate.
Its purely a gut feeling from the enquiry I received and the wording of the email that they may be younger than our usual groups and be like the one time previous problem group. I know it may sound stupid but good to share experiences and tactics
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

tom32s wrote: Its purely a gut feeling from the enquiry ..... I know it may sound stupid.....
No, definitely not. Listen to your gut feelings!
tom32s

Post by tom32s »

Thanks Greenbarn. Think I'm just going to block the dates out now after hearing everything. Fortunately we've been getting enough enquiries that I feel we can pick and choose at times.
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

With 3 larger properties (Sleep 10-12) I'm constantly on guard for stag or hen dos and also get lots of requests from parties of young people as per head the houses must seem very good value. In my template responses (thank you PIMS!) after the initial quote I always leave the following sentence in: Please note the house is not suitable for hen or stag groups or parties of exclusively young people without prior discussion and agreement. This does mean I get a few phone calls from groups fitting into this description and I can then take a view/increase my security deposit/decline as I see fit and I've never had a negative reaction to this. When I've spotted through the initial enquiry that there are children in the party I usually delete this sentence but when it's an all adult party it does help to filter out groups that are not particularly desirable from my point of view.
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
OSINCLAIR

Post by OSINCLAIR »

This has made me think more about the fact that we are just starting to take bookings via HL having gone through an agency up until now. It hadn't occurred to me that I know nothing about these people and have no address or contact details that I can rely on should anything go wrong. Though of course I could ask them and they could give me any old address/details. I don't know if HL gather this information but pretty sure as a punter I have never had to give it. Even if I had it would it help me? Hmmmmn......
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

On the Spanish tax forms, you are required to give the name, address, phone number and even passport number of each person (I assume the lead person) renting your property.

I recently ended up cancelling a booking in August because the people refused to complete a booking form, having come via a commission listing. All messages were sent via the Homelidays messaging system and it made sending links to a booking form, rental terms, payment information etc extremely difficult. They would not email me directly and when they also demanded payment on arrival, I gave up on them.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Casscat wrote:
Agree.

Perhaps you should consider making it clear in the description just exactly what your property features and it's attractions. To avoid drunken parties or binge drinking there are ways of saying its not suitable for that without actually saying that.

For example if the property is situated in the country away from noise then 'best suited for hikes, bird watching and enjoying the peace of nature' etc that sort of thing.
Marks

Post by Marks »

kevsboredagain wrote:On the Spanish tax forms, you are required to give the name, address, phone number and even passport number of each person (I assume the lead person) renting your property.
Really? I just have to give surname and passport number or DNI for Spanish residents.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Marks wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote:On the Spanish tax forms, you are required to give the name, address, phone number and even passport number of each person (I assume the lead person) renting your property.
Really? I just have to give surname and passport number or DNI for Spanish residents.
I've only just joined the Spanish tax payers club and the form my accountant asked me to complete requested a passport number for each booking (just the surname and passport number of one guest from each party) but as I had not been in the habit of asking for passport numbers she stated that this was not a problem.
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

Marks wrote:I would not take a booking without knowing:

Name, address and phone number of the person who booked
Names & ages of the people staying

I request this through a Wufoo form and this is part of my T&Cs. I need payment plus form to send directions, key collection etc. No form = no information. This applies to guests booked through HL as well.
Marks - how do you request this through HL when they strip out all website URLs from messages? Or do you only ask for this info when a booking has been confirmed?