Nice Guests, Dog hairs and Deposit?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
cleanforum

Nice Guests, Dog hairs and Deposit?

Post by cleanforum »

Have just had some lovely guests stay for two weeks with their small dog. We have had a few guests stay with dogs sover the years not many. Apart from soiling and terrace smells(thats another story) we have had no problems. This time however we have black dog hair everywhere.
I guess the dog which came from the UK in car had started to molt in the hot weather.
Anyway to cut to the chase. My wife has just spent a whole day with sellotape wound around her hands trying to rid the sheets of the black dog hairs...one by flipping one. Washing does nothing to get rid of them.
We charge a standard deposit of 100GBP and have always returned it. My wife is saying that we should charge and the the deposit for extra cleaning and take no more dogs into the home.
I have no problem with the second part and have updated our webs accordingly.
What would you do about the deposit? In general they treated the house OK but they did not bother to clean the floor at all and must have had the dog in the bedroom with them....
JaneV

Post by JaneV »

Do you take a dog charge? I charge £20 for dogs as the cleaners charge me extra to clean the cottage after dogs have been to stay. However, we recently had 2 dogs to stay and one of the duvet covers got completely trashed with mud, etc which wouldn't wash out so I had to charge for a new duvet cover, which the guest was more than happy to pay for, especially as we ask for dogs not to go on the beds. I think dog hairs are a tricky one as if you allow dogs then guests will probably assume that you will expect a degree of dog hair to have to hoover. Unfortunately dog hairs will get over the owner's clothes which will also transfer to sofas, beds, etc but it does sound like the dog was allowed on the bed. If you have stipulated that dogs are not allowed on beds then I guess you could make a reasonable charge for extra cleaning because of this.
annedab

Post by annedab »

I would charge them - we take dogs and fingers crossed have never had a problem, but I certainly wouldn't expect dogs to be sleeping in the beds, and you (or rather Mrs you :wink: ) have had a whole extra days unnecessary work. I would be tempted to charge them for a new set of sheets......... I say this as someone who has just been updating our information packs, trying to be pink and fluffy, but finding myself writing sentences like "please don't let your children walk on the pool table".
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Thanks. I take the points about having to pre-warn guest about what is acceptable and whats not, but it does get rather tedious and I suspect that it would not have helped in this case - they probably did just what they do at home. Ho hum. Well Mrs Me has finally got the sellotape off her fingers and is starting to smile again. I´ll put it down to experience and when they ask to return in a couple of years time I will suggest a suitable dog hotel for our canine friend. :D
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I think if you accept dogs then clearing up fur comes as part of the territory, in which case I would charge a 'dog premium' for those who do want to book with canines and accept that that is the price for the extra cleaning. Obviously actual dog damage (chewing, fouling) would be part of the damage deposit, but shedding is not really something the dog or owner can be blamed for (and I am not a dog person!)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We have dogs and would never allow them on or near the bed in a rental property (or our own). So I would charge. It is totally disrespectful in my mind to allow the bedding to get to that state.
Dog owners know all about hair and so they know what is involved to get it back to pristine . How they could think any other guest would be happy with that state of bedding is beyond me.

You are justifying it by the work you have personally put in to get the sheets clean, so have no worry about it. Charge, justify and hopefully they will think twice next time and have a higher level of respect.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Wakensea

Post by Wakensea »

I don't worry too much about the dog hair I can cope with that .......it's the continuous dog poo that is left for me to clear up and guests finding it acceptable to bring young un housetrained puppies on holiday ..... I have a border collie pup and wouldn't dream of taking it in to someone's holiday let . We are with sykes so don't get damage deposit !