A new member -> a new website -> a lot to improve

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Francois

A new member -> a new website -> a lot to improve

Post by Francois »

Hello,

My name is Francois and I am a new member of Lay My Hat Forum. I appreciate the quality of comments and advices and the cheerfulness which appears along-wise the different posts.
As you probably already understood reading my poor English, I am French-native. I was born in the French Alps, at a well-known ski-resort village: Megeve.

I recently completely renovated a flat in the family's chalet in order first, to enjoy it and, second to rent it a few weeks during summer and winter holidays.

Last week I started to develop a (modest) website and I would appreciate your comments and advises about it. Of course, I am sure that English has to be improved but not only. Thus, I invite you to visit the website and criticise it: http://www.ardilla-megeve.com

Many thanks for your help :)
Best regards,

Francois
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Welcome to the forum.

Your place your really nice and I would suspect you've actually under priced it a little. I think you could ask for more and still having good bookings.

The site looks ok and the English is near perfect so I wouldn't worry about that. I could only dream of speaking French to that level! Regarding the site, I would avoid underlining text on a website unless it's a URL as it confuses the visitor.

I know it's very French to hire towels and sheets but your English clients normally expect this included this in the total price, perhaps because most non French guests would be flying in and not driving. Is that 30 Euros per person or for everyone?

As you've used Jimdo.com to make the site, why not use their email offering as well instead if gmail? It would look better.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Hi. Welcome. I am no expert on websites but your place looks lovely & rustic. Just the sort of place I would want to stay.

Just one thing - Where did you get the magnetic scissors on the cooker hood, I want one of those :lol:
tavi

Post by tavi »

Hello and Welcome Francois,

The apartment looks gorgeous, and the website is good, easy to navigate and information easy to find.

Speaking as a potential guest there's just a little information I would like but couldn't find (maybe I missed it?).....

What is the access to the apartment - is it shared/independent/private?

What floor is the apartment on?

You mention it's close to a supermarket but could you give more detail about the ski-shuttle - how far? Which are the nearest lifts or ski-area. Ski-rental, can I ski out/in?

Is there ski & boot storage?

I agree with Kev, you might be better to raise your prices and include towels, bed-linen and cleaning. This is just my opinion but I always feel bedding and cleaning are not really extras but basic necessities.

If the previous guest chooses not to pay for your cleaning, does that mean I will be moving in to an apartment cleaned by your last guests?

If I hire your bedlinen - would I still have to make up the beds myself?...if so I probably wouldn't rent your apartment (I need a holiday not bed making!) :)

Just my thoughts, hope my comments are useful.

:)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Hi
Please don't take this the wrong way and certainly don't wish to offend, but I can't escape the photos of the hosts, no matter what other page I click on. I clicked on 'chalet' and 'accommodation' and still didn't get to see what I wanted to see without scrolling down, and that is pictures of the chalet. It makes me feel like you are going to be joining me on holiday! The pictures of yourselves are more prominent than the actual chalet. Personally I don't like to see photos of humans on holiday let websites unless it is a very discreet small picture of the owner just in the 'contact us' section. Once I got to see the chalet it looked lovely.
:D
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

+1 to Bunny. I'm afraid I'm the same. You're selling a dream for people to personalise and it should not come with the owner still in residence.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I can't see any humans anywhere?

Though I can see some shoulders on the background photo, must be my screen ......
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Tavi I think Bunny is talking about the background to every page - two people including a quite prominent smiling face (not that there's anything wrong with a smile - here's one I prepared earlier :)) The view is what people want to see, or possibly distant, non-recognisable humans skiing or what have you.
Francois

Post by Francois »

Hello

First of all, I thank a lot each of you for your comments: they are very helpful and you made it in a "So British" way that I can't be offended ( :wink: Bunny).
I tried to include most of the suggestions and the revised website is now online: http://www.ardilla-megeve.com
In addition, here are some personal replies:

@Kevsboredagain
Prices are not easy to estimate and it could be an unlimited topic within this forum...
About the optional hiring of towels and sheets, you are right... most of the time. The only one English family that we welcomed came with their own sheets and towels. But they came by car (from London :!: ). Nevertheless, to meet another comments about this, I added information (prices are for 4 persons, beds are made before arrival...).

@Kyreniagirl Thank you for your comments. Magnetic scissors were purchased in a local shop. We would be happy to offer one of those when you'll come... :lol:

@Tavi Thank you for your very important remarks. As mentioned above, I added some precision in the "pricing" section. Of course, beds are made by ourselves before arrival of our guests, as cleaning is checked to be perfect. We personally welcome our guests and one of the more intense emotion we have is their smiling faces meanwhile they discover the accommodation. We would not miss this!

@Bunny and @Casscat Thank you for this important criticism. I changed the design of the website accordingly and I think that it is now more "professional".

@Everybody Do not hesitate to add more comments if you think that this website could be improved (sure that it could :) )

Have a good day. Best regards,

Francois

http://www.ardilla-megeve.com