pfff - giving up a bit!

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
B&B netherlands

pfff - giving up a bit!

Post by B&B netherlands »

earlier this evening, i was 'out' in my back garden, cleaning up a bit after last night's rainstorm. (and yes, i lost another 50 quid parasol - but not by guest's fault)

my present guests run in and out of the house without notice - ehm... okay. they wanted a key.

yesterday was a very hot day here, outside temp around 33C and very humid - temp in the room was close to 25 C, last night, but windows had to be kept shut (because of unexpected 80 mph gusts during the storm)

so the revolving fan was on max, and i gave them a choice to just sleep under just a sheet - having left the duvets in the room.

'for you to use, if needed.'

getting sth from the shed (have a fridge/freezer there) 20 mins ago - i saw they.. were back!

as all THREE windows are now WIDE OPEN.

they did not say 'hello' - though they must have seen me.

outside temp is now... 14C, and my central heating will be kicking in soon :-(((

the room was when i removed breakfast left-overs and dirty dishes etc.after they left thus morning, certainly NOT 'too hot'. when i brought back clean dishes etc., the temp in the room was... 18C!

now what to do? this is really new to me.

no idea how late they want me to bring up breakfast to their room.

rant over (i think)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

What is it that you don't know what to do? I'm not sure if you are referring to windows open with the heating on or what time they want breakfast, although I don't understand the correlation between the two.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I'm confused too. Are you saying that leaving the windows open when it was hot will kick on the central heating when the air cools down at night? Why not turn off the central heating? An external overnight temperature with no central heating (windows closed or open according to preference) of 14C will not lead to hypothermia in any of your guests.
B&B netherlands

sorry bunny, you are right but i've been up and about since 5 am this morning... sleeping deprivation can hit really hard..

i have taken a decision not to be bothered by this unrespectful behaviour.

i went out of my way to accomodate them (and will never do that again!) for a very late arrival time (which was eventually even later than discussed) - and i did want to discuss breakfast time tonight and also what was wrong with what i brought them this morning as they hardly touched it. i never get complaints about what i serve, and i do take in account what different european nationalities like.

but i DO hate to throw away lots of good food.

so sorry i might seem a bit incoherent... i am just at the moment sooo tired and need a long day of rest. alarm set at 7 am again.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

B&B netherlands wrote:sorry bunny, you are right but i've been up and about since 5 am this morning... sleeping deprivation can hit really hard..

i have taken a decision not to be bothered by this unrespectful behaviour.

i went out of my way to accomodate them (and will never do that again!) for a very late arrival time (which was eventually even later than discussed) - and i did want to discuss breakfast time tonight and also what was wrong with what i brought them this morning as they hardly touched it. i never get complaints about what i serve, and i do take in account what different european nationalities like.

but i DO hate to throw away lots of good food.

so sorry i might seem a bit incoherent... i am just at the moment sooo tired and need a long day of rest. alarm set at 7 am again.
I'd be tired too if I were up at 5.00am. It must be upsetting to have food left and untouched. Not only have you gone to the effort of preparing it but also it's very wasteful. Perhaps you could leave them a note if you don't get to see them tomorrow. You could politely say that you noticed that they didn't eat what they were provided so would they prefer a lighter breakfast and would they prefer anything in particular? And also ask what time is best for them. I don't provide meals but used to supply a welcome pack of food basics, but got fed up of the wastage and gave up.

I don't plan to be up before 8.30am earliest; you are making me feel tired just at the thought of having to be up at 7 on a Sunday!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

*even more confused about breakfast versus indoor and outdoor heating* :?
Normandie

Re: pfff - giving up a bit!

Post by Normandie »

B&B netherlands wrote:my present guests run in and out of the house without notice - ehm... okay. they wanted a key.

so the revolving fan was on max, and i gave them a choice to just sleep under just a sheet - having left the duvets in the room.

as all THREE windows are now WIDE OPEN.

they did not say 'hello' - though they must have seen me.

outside temp is now... 14C, and my central heating will be kicking in soon :-(((

no idea how late they want me to bring up breakfast to their room.
The start of really hot weather - especially with cold nights - is always a problem I think - difficult to find a good compromise. I have to say that like Casscat, I'd just turn the central heating off unless that affects the hot water too - but generally the two operate independently.

The thing to remember about fans is that they don't reduce the air temperature (or humidity - which I think is the biggest problem at this time of year) at all. They just push it around and make the air feel cooler as it passes the body so you feel more comfortable but turn off the fan and the room temperature won't have changed. It's not aircon.

-----------

I find that guests vary enormously in their desire to acknowledge me - some (though few) do exactly as your guests did and scarcely acknowledge me once they're settled in. They don't want to waste their time being sociable with a stranger on holiday is how I interpret it. I don't mind. I've said before, I sometimes wonder if the ideal guest is out from 8am till 11pm and doesn't eat much for breakfast. :lol:

Others yell down the stairs as they come in and go out - recent guests used to pop down the stairs to say we're off now, going to Bayeux (or wherever) and we'll see you this evening and you have a lovely day too... Either approach is fine with me.

---------------

With brekkie, guests vary a lot in what they eat - both in what they try and how much they eat. You may just have people in who never eat much at breakfast. I usually have a very gentle conversation to ask if they like yoghurts / pain au chocolat / granola / orange juice / whatever isn't being touched so that I can adjust (or reduce) the offering accordingly. I never reduce without discussion because for all I know, they plan to eat the lot the following day and it would be a shame if I didn't put it out. :oops:

I state that breakfast is available from 8.00am until 9.30am - the reality is that people can book any time before 11am, I don't mind - but if someone is really messing me about re timings (only happened once, I think) I can dictate what time breakfast is on the table. Perhaps you can publish fixed timings for breakfast to which you can revert if people are being difficult?

---------------

I think a fact I always (try to!) bear in mind is that people don't always behave the way I would in a situation... which doesn't make them bad people, just differently wired to me.

So providing it doesn't seriously impact me or other guests, I accept how they are.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Lydia, as you serve breakfast in the room, would it be possible to leave it at the door so they could get it whenever they wished? Or have a mini fridge with supplies in that they could help themselv es to?
B&B netherlands

thank you all for your nice supportive posts - i did sleep a bit better last night.

i did exactly that: turn of the central heating. it normally drops to an inside temp of 15C at 23, all radiators have individual thermostatic valves, so that was why i was a bit worried not to heat only the house but also the environment! :-(

indeed, the night temp dropped spectacularly - as predicted. in some places more eastward than were i live, even to 2C below zero!

the other thing also is: because of the vicinity of schiphol airport there *might* be some plane traffic overhead - and that starts as early as 6 am! it depends on the wind - and yes, they were disturbed this morning... closing the double glazed windows would have prevented that...

i always ask my guests how they slept - and mrs guest shook her head - 'not too good'. her teenage daughter was both days non-communicative, absorbed (of course) by her i-phone...

well, bringing breakfast upstairs at the same time as the day before, they were already up - windows were still wide open (also in the showerroom).

the thermometer in the room was... at 13C!

they turned of the fan (yes, i know it spreads only warm air... it's more the idea that you care that counts, i feel) and the mini-bar in which was a liter of ice cold water - which i always put there in case of high temperatures (this was the very first 'hot' day this year)

i adapted the breakfast to 'less' and gave no cold meat but 3 different kinds of sliced dutch cheese. plus a freshly cut tomato (big one) and a small bowl of strawberries from my garden.

mrs guest or the daugther tore off two very small pieces of the cheese - but DID finish the 1/2 liter bottle of orange juice now!

helen, both rooms are equipped with a mini-bar, and i sometimes do exactly as you wrote. guests having to leave early do appreciate that a lot. i bake a fresh bread (machine) and put it wrapped in a clean tea towel, in a basket at their doorstep before i go to bed myself. it is usually to much for 2 guests' breakfast, so i tell them to slice up the rest, and take it with them as a packed lunch (plastic bags provided) for which i give some extra cold meat and cheese.

very much appreciated by cyclists, builders, families with hungry teenagers get the offer of home made bread whatever time they want to leave - as the room on the top floor is big enough, i put two folding chairs extra by the table - one set of guests was very happy with that arrangement - they spent their whole evening playing cards together!

it seemed they wanted to leave without saying goodbye - they were standing at the front door already, when i opened the door of my living room - and asked: 'can i have my key back, please?'

'it's upstairs.' and off they were!

'have a nice day and a safe journey back,' i said...

she nodded briefly. daughter was already outside.

thanks again for all the sympathy!

it was just bad luck, i feel. perhaps they were disappointed about sth that had nothing to do with me or my property...? bad mood...? had quarrelled...?

repeat guest arriving in some hours - has been staying off and on for workdays since february - teacher at a local school - we get on very well. tomorrow another repeat guest from france, IT-related, on a project half an hour by bus from here - also utterly happy not to have to sleep in one of these unpersonal chain hotels.

they both do not want breakfast :-D - as long as i provide enough coffee! so it's not only guests that do NOT appreciate what i have to offer!