Giving up my smaller cottage

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Bunny

Giving up my smaller cottage

Post by Bunny »

I've decided to stop letting our smaller annexed cottage that we started renting over nine years ago. Just one more booking to honour. Since we built an additional larger detached cottage nearly two years ago my heart has just not been in my smaller cottage. I've seen a lot change over the years. In the early years I achieved about 80% occupancy just off free listing sites and my own website. I've seen that dwindle over the last couple of years whilst my larger cottage is doing really well. Our daughter has recently changed jobs and come back home to live and really needs her own space so she is going to live in our Annexe. I really won't miss letting it and I never really liked having guests quite so on top of us despite it being completely self contained. And no more referee-ing between guests in our shared car park so that's a plus!
Just thought I'd share this in case anyone wondered why I now only refer to our new cottage.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Sounds like you have made wholly the right decision Bunny. It's a win-win really isn't it? Concentrate on the main earner rental, create more privacy for you and your family, offer your daughter a wonderful self contained and private but still associated space and reduce the maintenance burden on you. Well actually that's a win-win-win-win situation isn't it! :lol:
JanB

Post by JanB »

Isn't it a good feeling when you make a decision that feels so right?

I am a great believer in gut instinct and it seems sensible for you to make the most of your larger property especially as it is letting well.

Enjoy having your daughter back and it will be so much easier to only have one property to think about.

Good luck!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Sounds like a good decision. Family first!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Thank you for your kind comments. I must admit I've found it a bit of a struggle managing both cottages when I do absolutely everything single handed. My OH works full time and doesn't have anything to do with the cottages except any maintenance that I cannot do. And I'm not the type to employ any hired help. I'm no good at delegating and I'd probably end up going round redoing things 'properly'. Typically, since I've made the decision I've had a surge of enquiries for our annexed cottage so I'm now trying to remove it from all listing sites. I can't even remember a lot of the listings as it was so long ago.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Your daughter sounds like a very lucky girl and that it's the right decision all round. Perhaps some of the enquiries can be funnelled to the larger property with a suitable discount? On the other hand if it's selling well, you won't need to! :wink:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

As others have said, sounds like a win-win situation for all.
Bunny wrote: I can't even remember a lot of the listings as it was so long ago.
Have a search on here for your old postings, you may have mentioned at some point one or other of the more forgettable sites you're with. :D
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
JanB

Post by JanB »

.........or just Google your property name and they will come up! I have done this a few times and seen a few sites I am on which. I just did not remember at all.
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
pambon

Post by pambon »

Great decision Bunny. Isn't that just Sod's Law getting a flux of enquiries for the annexe now!
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

You sound like me Bunny, except I've only got the one cottage to manage. Well done on a good decision made. I hope you can prevent those future bookings from your various sites!
So much to learn....so little time!