Owner's dogs - how to feature them.

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Thanks so much! :) Yes we are so happy - we've wanted a dog for ever really, but it's only this year that we've become able to be settled enough. She is such a sweet little clown already and we just cannot wait!

It may well be that some cushions meet a terrible end at those tiny fangs :)

Aww Jimbo that is a lovely name for one - I am sure you miss him. Picture please :)
Paolo they do look like the Korthals - we know two here, lovely dogs. The Spinone is slightly different in shape, a bit hairier and heavier boned, with more of a roman nose (and they also come in white and orange). But the main difference is the temperament - much more laid back. They are slower paced than the Griffon, both literally - they move at a lovely slouchy trot - and in their personalities...."easygoing eccentrics".

More pics here for those who would like :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chaletlaf ... 4634300531

All the input is super helpful and thank you all so much! I am keen to strike a balance...
I think that putting stuff on the booking form makes it sound too official, so I don't think it's the way to go. It's not as if she's in the chalet or the garden, so there's no reason for people to see her if they didn't want to. I like the idea of making it clear that guests mustn't take her in the chalet.

And I am sure that when people visit us in the small chalet, she'll know when she's not wanted - I completely agree that most dogs work this out pretty fast.

I think a pic or two on the site, not overdoing it, and perhaps a line in the enquiry response with a link for more info is probably enough. I'll make it clear that she's not roaming around the place.

Thanks so much again for all the input, it really is great as always :)
Last edited by Martha on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
farley

Post by farley »

Gosh, I miss my dog so much!!
Thank you for these wonderful pics :)
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Give your guests a link to those photos, Martha, and you'll be booked up till 2020! I love the one where she's gazing into her mum's (?) eyes ... I want I want I want :lol:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

French Cricket wrote:... I want I want I want :lol:
Me too - and I'm a feline fancier not a canine canoodler :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Just be a wee bit careful with what you choose to put on your website, Martha - dog lovers will of course say lots of photos of a dog will help bookings. For the rest, it can be an active turn-off. I'm neither a dog lover or hater- I like some dogs and have seriously considered having a dog in the past, but lots of prominent dog pictures on an owner's website would have me reaching for an alternative accommodation option. Even if it's not meant to look this way, it strongly suggests that the dogs feature so highly in the lives of the owners that I'm going to be bothered by them and I just don't want to have to deal with someone else's dog on my holiday.

If, however, you think there are enough dog lovers who would still book your chalet, then the above isn't really relevant, of course!

p. s. This is in no way a sleight against your dog... she looks lovely!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Martha - great pictures!

I agree with all your comments about spinones other than they're not big barkers. Our Boswell developed a Pavarotti-like resonating bark, once he got beyond his puppy 'mip mip' and he used it often! I used to tell him that spinones are born with a reservoir of only a million barks and then - silence! But he didn't listen ...
Jim
TGS

Post by TGS »

I have found this super helpful too. Things progressing well so far (fingers crossed) on my purchase and I too have a dog. A big stupid over friendly hungarian vizla.

Found everyone's comments really useful.

My plan was not to mention it as there is no reason for the guests to have any access to him - unless they want to of course.

Your puppy is super cute!
Flying by the seat of my pants.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Thanks all! :D That's her mum in the pictures - Anna, a lovely dog. We have met many relatives, all delightful :)
Yes, not to overdo it as an impression is definitely important. I think just a pic in the "about us" page and a line on the enquiry response. Plus I'll add it to the allergy info page. The houses are close but separate, and our garden will be fenced by the time she arrives.

Jimbo - haha, well I will hope for the best! None of her family are very vocal - perhaps they were on their best behaviour ;) I will try your explanation with Daphne and see if she can work it out.

Viszlas are lovely dogs, a friend has one here. She's a sweetie, so affectionate :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Martha wrote: Yes, not to overdo it as an impression is definitely important. I think just a pic in the "about us" page and a line on the enquiry response. Plus I'll add it to the allergy info page. The houses are close but separate, and our garden will be fenced by the time she arrives.
Sorry, a bit late to this and I'm an on site owner with dogs...but I think what you have outlined here is perfect, Martha. I don't advertise that I have dogs but always check with people when they arrive if they are OK with dogs, most people think it is a plus as most children love animals. One of my dogs is a rather boisterous young border collie who loves playing football but he is never allowed out on his own (the other two are very old dogs). I have a little fenced in area behind my house now so the dogs can be out all day. My biggest worry is dog poo so none of the dogs are free to wander where they want when there are guests staying.
I have had people who are not only allergic to cats but are afraid of them, and unfortunately one guest who was very scared of them was startled by one of my cats jumping in on her bed through the velux window in the bedroom. Cats seem to have a sixth sense of when people really don't like them!