Should I offer, and charge?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
teba18

Post by teba18 »

As it appears they're driving, I would just let them know that unfortunately there isn't a supermarket that will deliver and suggest they bring essentials to tide them over till the next day- then let them know opening times on Sunday morning.
Or simply say that you could leave tea or coffee, long-life milk, some cereal and juice for the kids to drink. (Actually, they could bring all that themselves in a very small cardboard box!) If they try to add to your list, I'd politely say these are items you already have and you're sorry but you haven't time to go to buy additional stuff.
Marks

Post by Marks »

tavi wrote:For my late arrivals I offer a fixed shopping list at a fixed price(includes a small fee for me). Take it or leave it. No shopping list to follow, no heavy drinks for me to carry, and no totting up to do. Occasionally people ask me to replace an item with something else for dietary reasons - which is easy to do.

It basically includes enough to make a light supper, a sandwich, or a breakfast the next morning, nothing special but it helps those arriving late, tired and hot :D
+1

There was a lengthy thread about this a while ago. Just give them a basic list of essentials as tavi says and bung on 10 or 15 Euros for your time. They want a service from you, so you should charge for that service. I have two lists, one with booze and one without. I make about 15 Euros each time as I have to go to the supermarket, queue up, spend my money on their behalf, then deliver everything up 20 steps and into the fridge & cupboards and then wait 7, 10 or 14 days to be paid. If they don't pay it just gets deducted from the security deposit.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

We often get requests to do shopping from Canadians and Americans, as they often arrive when the local supermarket is shut.

We find that it's often guests travelling on a budget who are not looking at taking the entire family out to a restaurant, or who want to eat in on the first night.

Guests often ask us to do big shops for them (sometimes over EUR 100), but the supermarket is just 100m away, so it does not put us out.

We've never had any problems with people not paying for the extra shopping. Actually, most are fumbling in their wallets and asking how much they owe us before they've set foot through the door!

If it's an agency booking, then we don't provide a welcome pack, but we do for all the rest.
We include bread, cheese, cold meat, eggs, jam, butter, milk, breakfast cereal, pack of tea, red & white wine and beer. We also ask if they wish to have anything else included in the welcome pack. A bit risky, we thought at first, but no one has ever dared to ask for any additional items in the pack.
If they are returning guests, then we tend to add more expensive articles.
Circé

Post by Circé »

What the 'eck is the problem?
It's not an unreasonable request.
I manage over 20 houses and am frequently asked by either owners coming to their second homes, or for their paying guests, to provide some shopping. It's delivered at my convenience. If it's just a few odd bits for a supper & the next morning so what? I'll be at the house that day checking on it anyway, and I have to shop for us.
If paying guests give me a huge list, I tell them I'll have to charge a bit for delivery. (Owners expect to pay us for any service, from shopping to pool to dealing with Orange & Edf so that aspect is always covered).
Nemo

Re: Should I offer, and charge?

Post by Nemo »

GillianF wrote:I don't want to be unhelpful but it is 'self catering' and we aren't on site ...................
Gillian
It boils down to whether you want to do it or not. Yes, you could, but it's not a service you offer. They have alternatives like shopping en route etc. It's lovely that so many owners are able to offer such a service but that doesn't mean you should feel guilty if you choose not to. I can't think of a single occasion when I've had a welcome pack at any of the properties I've stayed in overseas. There's always a way around these things - it brings out the adventurer in me. :wink:
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

So interesting to see all the different approaches and opinions.

I suppose the thing for me is that I'm not on site. It's a property I'm only managing. There is no supermarket delivery so shopping etc. will be down to me and I have no idea what sort of 'service' the guest is expecting.

Having read everything you've said I am going to wait for their cheque to arrive and then send the receipt with directions to find the house and the key. I will then explain there is no supermarket delivery possible but give the location of the local supermarket and opening times for Saturday and Sunday. I'll suggest they shop en route but that I can provide some basic supplies (to a list) at cost plus a nominal charge for my time and petrol. I do my weekly shop on a Wednesday and I don't have the space to store their items until Saturday so would want to do their shopping on Friday evening or, even, Saturday.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

French Cricket wrote:It's all about expectation, isn't it?
Yes. And, if a request isn't what an owner / manager wants to do, still engendering a feeling of comfort and confidence for the guest pre-arrival.

In this instance, perhaps tell the guest that 5 minutes away (or whatever) from the property is a great boulangerie which does excellent breads, croissants and pain au chocolat to die for so is perfect for a first-day breakfast* plus you can buy all your first day needs (from nappies to our very good local wine at 2€ a bottle) 10 minutes drive away from the house... providing you shop before 12 midday.

If they can plan (especially if they have small children who are perhaps finicky eaters (or adults for that matter :wink:) not being able to get a full shop in the fridge for arrival may feel less vital.

* but it would be nice to have butter and jam and / or honey in the fridge so they had that in stock.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I have come late to this thread and imagine that it is resolved by now but just thought it worth adding my two pennyworth

We offer such a service for people arriving late or on a Sunday out of season when the shops are closed. It makes for REALLY happy customers and great reviews and it really doesn't cause me any inconvenience as I have to shop anyway. No one has ever abused the offer, just requesting enough to see them through 24 hours. With 10 people including usually 4 children or more it is expensive to eat out and that is why people go self-catering. Also there is a limit to how much you can fit into a cool box or a car fridge particularly if you want to take stuff for lunch along the way) and you don't want stuff going off during a hot drive.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
pambon

Post by pambon »

pepsipuss wrote:I have come late to this thread and imagine that it is resolved by now but just thought it worth adding my two pennyworth

We offer such a service for people arriving late or on a Sunday out of season when the shops are closed. It makes for REALLY happy customers and great reviews and it really doesn't cause me any inconvenience as I have to shop anyway. No one has ever abused the offer, just requesting enough to see them through 24 hours. With 10 people including usually 4 children or more it is expensive to eat out and that is why people go self-catering. Also there is a limit to how much you can fit into a cool box or a car fridge particularly if you want to take stuff for lunch along the way) and you don't want stuff going off during a hot drive.
+ 1
elena

Post by elena »

+ 2!

We have introduced a new property this year with a Sunday to Sunday changeover and one of my concerns was guests arriving with no idea that nothing is open here on a Sunday afternoon and ending up with nothing to eat!

I didn't want to open up a can of worms by advertising a shopping service for all ( we also have changeovers Fri and Sat so limited in free time to shop) but understand the dilemma guests face and try to put myself in their position.

So far I have played it by ear, offering where I know it would be a problem not to or where I know it would be greatly appreciated.( I also offer this for late arrivals at our 7 gites, Les Crouquets)
So far so good and we're always ready to bale someone out if necessary (we live 5 mins drive away).

I charge just the supermarket prices even if I have to make a special trip as I would rather keep it as doing a favour for someone rather than offering a commercial service. (Not so much pressure to get it right when someone asks for "coffee, cold meats / cheese or something similar and a good bottle of wine" :wink: )

Elena
Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
keep in touch with Les Crouquets on Facebook
follow us on pinterest
NEW!! Dordogne Holiday Villa with private pool
man who stand on side of mountain with mouth open waiting for roast duck to fly in have long wait....
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I shop q a lot for guests - just ask them to be brand specific if its important. I charge 8e as supermkts can be busy on a Saturday. I d say half my guests take up the offer - they email the list, I estimate the cost, they transfer say 30 gbp, I shop, they eat it. I usually double up on drinks with any change.