No bookings!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I think whether you show the toilets is dependant on what market you are wanting to attract. One of our main advertising points is that we are mobility friendly, all on one level, parking right outside the door etc.

We had them assessed by the 'One Step Ahead' scheme advisor and they are deemed suitable for wheelchair users but not if they are totally unable to stand.

People like that need to assess whether they would be able to transfer from chair to toilet in comfort so it helps them to see pictures. they also need assess the space available and grip points etc. Even though we have an access statement they still like to see.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Point taken barbersdrove, but I think in this instance that doesn't apply as it's a two storey farmhouse? If you have lots of nice photos then a toilet in the midst might not jump out so much, plus if it's fulfilling the point you made; but this is one of just 10 photos and I'm guessing is upstairs too. It's really not a great photo at all if you look at it and does nothing to sell the property.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Back on the lack of bookings theme, has anyone noticed that this week's non-event - tomorrow I believe - involves choosing who you think is the least incompetent bunch of psychopaths to tell us how we should live our lives?

Just a wild thought, but people might have been holding off from committing to any financial obligations until they know the outcome? Possible? If so, we can expect a flurry of bookings over the weekend, regardless of the result. Maybe.

Now I'm off to check the toilet photos on my website.......
Laura B

Post by Laura B »

Having taken on all your advice I spent a long time sorting better pictures last weekend.I am also putting together a website. Sykes had them Monday morning, along with my request to replace all of the existing ones on the site with the new ones and also to reduce the May b/h weekend as I felt that the way the listing came up it made the whole cottage way to expensive. Two photos had to be retaken and were resent Monday. They reduced the price within a couple of hours, but still no new pictures I asked them on Thursday if they would do it before the weekend, and was told they were top of the list to be done. It's now Saturday. I am beginning to wonder if I should get rid of Sykes now , while I only have one booking to honour and move to OD. They just don't seem interested in helping me increase the bookings & I thought they would be, after all it will benefit all of us. Does anyone think I should break their contract? As far as I can see the one booking they have will cover the cost of doing so.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It really depends on if you have the time and energy to promote it yourself, plus what the cost is of getting out the contract.

Some people manage with listing on just one site, but most of us use a myriad of different sites and social media to do our marketing.

However if you have doubts right from the outset about Sykes, it's not a good start. I'd be having a frank conversation with them come Monday.
Laura B

Post by Laura B »

Thank you. Had that conversation with Sykes, the photographs are now on :D I'll stick it out a bit longer with them
Sapper

Sykes

Post by Sapper »

Hi Laura we have been with Sykes for 2 years now and as long as your happy with their pricing ,I am sure you will get plenty of bookings . We are full now until the middle of October . We are very happy with their service and they have always been helpful when asked for advice. Good Luck
Laura B

Post by Laura B »

Thank you that's good to hear, they do seem ok ....I'll give it time. I guess when you are new to this you just don't know what to expect, and you can't help being optimistic at the beginning
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Quickly veering back to the bathroom photo this is the delightful comment we received from a future guest.
I am a bit bothered that there are any pictures of the bathroom. Hope we are not peeing in a bucket in the garden !?!?!?! 😊
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
clairelou65

Post by clairelou65 »

Laura, I really feel for you, we went with an agency, cottages4you in our first 2 years, the first year they managed 6 weeks of bookings with the 2nd a little better we left at our first opportunity and are doing really well with our 5th summer being full and our last available full week was end January.
It is hard work and I'm constantly at it, updating ads or emailing guests but it has paid off finally.
Laura B

Post by Laura B »

Thank you clairelou for that...it is all a bit of a worry when you start this isn't it! Bookings have picked up pretty well since my first post, so I am feeling a little more relaxed about it all. Although I can see that the income would increase considerably if I left Sykes, I just don't think I would have the time to do all the advertising things that you all do. So if I can stick it out with an agent I think I will at the moment