something to give a 12 y.o girl guest for her birthday

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
pachypach

something to give a 12 y.o girl guest for her birthday

Post by pachypach »

We have some guests coming to stay in August, one of the children is having her 12th birthday whilst here.
I have arranged to take her out for a pony ride on the day, and also have arranged for the boulangerie to make a birthday cake for the family.
Is there anything else I could do to make her birthday a bit special so she will remember it (also that doesn't cost a fortune ;-) )
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Maybe just decorate her room with some birthday banners or balloons etc as a surprise for when she walks in. Lucky girl; I'm sure she'll love the horse ride and cake. Iit sounds like she is going to remember it anyway without doing much more. :D
tavi

Post by tavi »

A holiday journal?

Sounds like you've done a great job already! :)
EdinburghCityApartments

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

And here was me feeling chuffed with myself for getting a guest a bottle of wine and box of chocs for her birthday today.

I obviously need to step it up a bit.

Now where to find some ponies in Edinburgh?...
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I would arrange a cake, and that's it. It's up to her parents to do the whole birthday job, and 12 is not a landmark birthday. Sorry, but I think the celebration is for the family to make special, not you unless you are asked to make suggestions.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Casscat wrote:I would arrange a cake, and that's it. It's up to her parents to do the whole birthday job, and 12 is not a landmark birthday. Sorry, but I think the celebration is for the family to make special, not you unless you are asked to make suggestions.
I think it's pachypach's USP Casscat. :wink:
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

If the family has booked a 'birthday package' to include a party and events then clearly that's different, but I didn't pick up that vibe from the original post :?
pachypach

Post by pachypach »

No 'birthday package', but I do try to go the extra mile for all of our guests!
I do offer free pony rides for all our of guests kids who fancy it, I really enjoy taking them out, and the ponies do too!
I know when I was that age, I would have loved to go somewhere on holiday where I could spend time with horses!
Marks

Post by Marks »

I've given up providing cava, cakes, chocolates, cards for birthday and anniversary guests - rarely get a thank you. A couple of weeks ago I left three bottles of pretty decent wine for fourth time guests. Did they say thank you? Did they hell :twisted:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Fifi

Post by Fifi »

Have consulted my 15yo girl, and she said that if you know she is a girly girl, hair stuff, nail varnish, etc etc, but, if you aren't sure, go for a t-shirt or something along those lines - and err on the side of caution and get an age 14 size!
People who arrive after 10pm, shouldn't expect a hug.....
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Marks wrote:I've given up providing cava, cakes, chocolates, cards for birthday and anniversary guests - rarely get a thank you. A couple of weeks ago I left three bottles of pretty decent wine for fourth time guests. Did they say thank you? Did they hell :twisted:
Strangely - I have been cutting back on 'freebies' as it just doesn't seem to be appreciated or maybe it's got to the stage where it's 'expected'? Where does it all end? What ever happened to self catering?

We left an expensive bottle of Champagne & a decent red & white for some guests who we knew appreciated good wine & were staying a couple of weeks for a celebration - didn't even get a mention!

Although some lovely guests are extremely grateful for the milk!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Casscat wrote:but I didn't pick up that vibe from the original post :?
Sorry Casscat; I didn't make it clear. I looked at Pachypach's website because I was curious about the pony rides having horses myself. This is where I noticed the Optional Extras Tab offering birthday cakes etc.

I've occasionally given pony rides to children if asked, but it's not something I have encouraged because I've always worried about the insurance aspect.

I've given up providing gifts for celebrations too (I get too many and agree they are just taken for granted). But if you offer it as a service for which you are charging then that's different. :D
pachypach

Post by pachypach »

[/quote]
I've occasionally given pony rides to children if asked, but it's not something I have encouraged because I've always worried about the insurance aspect.
[/quote]
I offer pony rides free and also notify the guests that they must have their own insurance, plus I get them to sign a disclaimer.