Hollywood star!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
CrabtreeBarnYorks

Hollywood star!

Post by CrabtreeBarnYorks »

Long post - sorry... Bit of advice needed please folks. I've had a phone call today from a local film festival who want to come and look at our property (googled them, all seems kosher) with a view to a Hollywood star staying at ours for all September and October. Only issue is that we have a 3 night booking in middle of October with deposit paid. Booking agent asked if we can just pay off the 3 night stay but currently i have said wouldn't be comfortable doing that and he's said please ring back if we change our mind.

They want to look round with the producer first too.
It would be lovely to have a 7 week booking BUT i don't think it is ethically right to get rid of the 3 night people and also a concern about diva like expectations and behaviour of said star. They say they are looking for a 5 star accommodation which there aren't many of in our area, i did point out we are not graded and don't charge 5 star prices.

Thoughts please?
ever hopeful!
www.crabtreebarn.com
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

You have the three nights in hand.
Make sure the film lot want it and take the booking along with a good security bond.

Keep the three nighter sweet by offering them something like a free holiday for their inconvenience. Ply them with a good welcome pack too.

You could even be truthful for the reason.
If they are set on the original three then you have a moral dilemma
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

Hi Crabtree Barn!

We had the same call this morning! I've sent you a pm with a bit more info.
EdinburghCityApartments

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

Definitely wrong to cancel the 3 nighter.....BUT:

I would do it.

I think if they want to see the place before doing anything you should at least say you're open to the idea and you never know, it might not be what they're looking for...at least then you'll not get to September and be thinking "I wish I'd taken that booking".

Just my very selfish opinion though!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I wouldn't cancel the 3 nighter unless they agree but it depends on your terms and conditions.

I've had a few phone calls this year from film companies saying they want to rent our property (Bollywood) but it turned out they wanted to film inside the property for a few days whilst the producer/star was staying.

This would involve a "small crew" and when questioned further it transpired this meant 30 vehicles parked "for a few days" but otherwise it would be just for the producer staying. I didn't like the sound of it.

You also don't want to cancel your booking and find that the "star" then wants to stay somewhere else.
Bunny

Re: Hollywood star!

Post by Bunny »

CrabtreeBarnYorks wrote:Booking agent asked if we can just pay off the 3 night stay but currently i have said wouldn't be comfortable doing that and he's said please ring back if we change our mind.

It would be lovely to have a 7 week booking BUT i don't think it is ethically right to get rid of the 3 night people and also a concern about diva like expectations and behaviour of said star.
Thoughts please?
I think really you've answered your own question here. Sorry but I wouldn't do it. If they can be so unconcerned about anyone else that they think people can just be paid off then I wouldn't want them.

I've often had to turn down good bookings due to a pre existing booking right in the middle. IMO cancelling a booking, no matter how well you dress it up with offers, is going to make the existing guest feel very unworthy and rejected and it could do your reputation no good at all.

I would never cancel someone's holiday unless I absolutely had to. Do the decent thing....
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We have a return guest who likes to book a 10-14 night holiday sometime in November. When they got in touch with their dates I realised that I already had a weekend booked to some Australian guests right in the middle of the dates they wanted. I told them and suggested an earlier fortnight. Instead they decided to stay at our house for a week, then go for a weekend in Wales and then come back for the last 4 nights. I wish I'd thought of that myself!

So in a nutshell, I wouldn't cancel the existing booking, but you could suggest that they take a short break somewhere else just for that weekend. It would also give you a chance to do a thorough clean part way through - I'd be worried about how they'd leave it after such a long stay.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
JP

Post by JP »

Sky TV book up a lot of the big houses in our village every summer for their staff and stars.
They pay so well some people move out, go on holiday and rent their own house out and this is their only income all year.
The only down side is they do not look after the houses at all, they pay for the damage but often leave the places in a real state so if you have any emotional attachment it's wouldn't be for you.
James
Annew

Post by Annew »

How exciting - But..

I would honour the existing booking if I were you, just from an ethical stance. The VIP/entourage probably won't recommend you even if they have a great stay, but the 3 night holiday maker possibly will.

Tread carefully though ... we have a VIP who stays regularly (not an A lister I hasten to add) and a well-known author, both of whom treat the place exactly the same as any other holiday maker, but we have had a BBC film crew who left the place like a hovel.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
CrabtreeBarnYorks

Post by CrabtreeBarnYorks »

Thanks all, confirmed my feelings. Nuthatch has also sent me a good message as has direct experience of these particular guys and confirms the comment about leaving places in a state and not looking after them so well. Overall I love our barn and it's next door to us and we have a young child and we like a quiet life! Apparently these guys are often out in the middle of the night etc. So I'm not going to pursue it.
Cheers all
ever hopeful!
www.crabtreebarn.com
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

Good decision.
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.