Have I broken the UK record for no bookings?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
OSINCLAIR

Post by OSINCLAIR »

We have been with HL since end of March 2015 and have filled up almost all our summer weeks with bookings through their site so my experience seems to be different from that of others who have commented. We have no bookings from the end of the school summer holidays though at all and I can see other properties listed with them (that admittedly are more luxurious than ours) that are booked up for months to come and even well into 2016. Difficult to know what to surmise from that! 1. Our summer pricing is too cheap and/or 2. School holiday weeks will always book in a popular area if your property is decent and/or 3. Who knows!!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

OSINCLAIR wrote:We have been with HL since end of March 2015 and have filled up almost all our summer weeks with bookings through their site so my experience seems to be different from that of others who have commented. We have no bookings from the end of the school summer holidays though at all and I can see other properties listed with them (that admittedly are more luxurious than ours) that are booked up for months to come and even well into 2016. Difficult to know what to surmise from that! 1. Our summer pricing is too cheap and/or 2. School holiday weeks will always book in a popular area if your property is decent and/or 3. Who knows!!
3. Others may be getting their bookings elsewhere - just because they list on HL doesn't mean they only book on HL
4. The others may be only open for the peak periods
5. The others may be using HL purely for the Trip Advisor reviews and just block out the calendar so they don't get enquiries.
JanB

Post by JanB »

newtimber wrote:
OSINCLAIR wrote:We have been with HL since end of March 2015 and have filled up almost all our summer weeks with bookings through their site so my experience seems to be different from that of others who have commented. We have no bookings from the end of the school summer holidays though at all and I can see other properties listed with them (that admittedly are more luxurious than ours) that are booked up for months to come and even well into 2016. Difficult to know what to surmise from that! 1. Our summer pricing is too cheap and/or 2. School holiday weeks will always book in a popular area if your property is decent and/or 3. Who knows!!
3. Others may be getting their bookings elsewhere - just because they list on HL doesn't mean they only book on HL
4. The others may be only open for the peak periods
5. The others may be using HL purely for the Trip Advisor reviews and just block out the calendar so they don't get enquiries.
When my property went under offer recently, I closed all availability out for the rest of the year and into next. So have a couple of other holiday let owners who have sold in the same town; it is understandable to be misled into thinking they are "booked".

As Newtimber correctly suggests, many simply use HL as a presence for TA as it isn't generally to be relied on for majority bookings as it used to be. For me, it was like falling off a cliff with views down from 400 to 44 per month and therefore enquiries and bookings from that site were down too.

They broke something that now needs fixing......but it is beyond help. If it is still giving you bookings, that is great but if I were you, I would maintain a back up position as the situation can quickly change.
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!