Facebook lock out - malware message on Chrome

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Nemo

Facebook lock out - malware message on Chrome

Post by Nemo »

I was using facebook and then all of a sudden a message came out and I'm now locked out of fb via Chrome.

The message states
It looks like your computer is being affected by malware. We’ll help you fix the problem to keep your account secure and prevent malware from spreading to friends.
Malware is software that tries to steal personal information and causes problems when you use Facebook. Clicking or sharing links that contain spam can give your computer malware.
The there's a button saying get started. Now I'm wondering what to do next. I can get back on to facebook via Firefox.

I've updated Windows Defender and run a scan. I don't have any other "defense" stuff on my computer that I'm aware of.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ok, having clicked the get started button it offers me ESET Online Scanner which I'm sure I don't want, but I'm not sure how to break the cycle at this stage!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I presume you've tried the obvious: close down and reboot.

Sadly, as much as I used to love Chrome and recommend to all my friends because it was so sleek and fast, its now got over bloated, and very buggy. Mind you, so has Facebook. Apparently, we, users keep demanding so much more :?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

No joy. Shutting down and a nights sleep has not made the problem go away. :(

Now when I click on the get started button it's offering me a different piece of software to download - F-Secure Online Scanner. Anybody any thoughts on whether downloading whichever software is given as an option is a bad thing? They all seem genuine facebook offerings when I search for them.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I did some Googling on the subject and it would be appear to be a Facebook invoked message. Could not really find how to solve it though. Other people had done full scans with multiple software package and found no problems. Some people even suggested it was due to malicious Facebook content but I've no idea what that actually means.

If it was me, I would test with another browser and also try disabling browser addons to try and narrow down which part Facebook is complaining about. Obviously you could try a scanner like Malwarebytes but others have suggested this didn't help.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well I've run a full scan on my computer and it's come up with nothing. I disabled all the Chrome extensions and still the message came up. I did a bit of background work on Chrome yesterday, but I'm running it about as simply as it's possible to do I think. facebook runs fine on both firefox and IE so it really is a Chrome issue.

I think it may eventually resolve itself, it's whether I want to wait weeks or months for it to do so!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Nemo wrote:Well I've run a full scan on my computer and it's come up with nothing. I disabled all the Chrome extensions and still the message came up. I did a bit of background work on Chrome yesterday, but I'm running it about as simply as it's possible to do I think. facebook runs fine on both firefox and IE so it really is a Chrome issue.

I think it may eventually resolve itself, it's whether I want to wait weeks or months for it to do so!
You could try uninstalling Chrome and deleting all its files and caches and starting over...
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

newtimber wrote:You could try uninstalling Chrome and deleting all its files and caches and starting over...
I agree except for the last 3 words :wink:
** Richard
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Have you abandoned Chrome Richard? If so what are you using instead?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I have not totally abandoned it yet, but I now use Firefox for 50% of the time. Don't ask why.... its mostly based on laziness to get organized.
** Richard