Over occupancy

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

Before getting heavy and threatening legal proceedings - particularly when they're still on holiday - I'd just ask how they'd like to pay for the additional guests. Would it be by cash, transfer, or should you just deduct it from the damages deposit? (You have got a damages deposit haven't you?)

Threatening legal proceedings should be a last resort because as soon as they are mentioned the relationship is completely soured and any chance of an amicable settlement is near impossible.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

If you have a DD nightowl then I would tell them you're deducting it from that as the easiest option.
They've already shown themselves to be untrustworthy so you don't want to spend energy chasing bank transfers or worrying about cash being handed over.

Keep it simple....and I certainly would charge them, why should they have a free holiday off your back?!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Newtoit wrote:Before getting heavy and threatening legal proceedings - particularly when they're still on holiday -
I read it that they'd been and gone while Nightowl was away in Spain.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I wouldn't wait for a reply as to how many nights the extra guests have stayed. I would just assume that they are staying for the full duration of the booking and bill them accordingly. That will probably get a reaction.
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

Casscat wrote:I read it that they'd been and gone while Nightowl was away in Spain.
My apologies Casscat, i think you're right.

In which case, your suggestion makes sense, perhaps subject to one more invoice first?

It of course isn't going to be worth actually pursuing it legally for just £80 (although threatening it may produce a result) and may just have to be put down to experience. Next time sorting it out while the guests were still there or while a Damages Deposit was still held is possibly the only way.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

thanks all, yes, they've been and gone whilst we were away - it was only a 4 night stay.

I don't take a DD - used to take one by paypal until PP invoked a revolving retention on it about 2 years ago (a 3 month revolving retention of 30% of my turnover if I remember correctly) so I decided it was not worth taking DDs because of the effect the revolving retention would have on them. So can't take it out of that.

I think i'm just going to follow up and say that I'm billing for it and send a pp invoice.

ta to everyone who has input on this.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Frustrating, and I would certainly send an invoice, but the reality is they're unlikely to pay unless they believe you will enforce it through some sort of legal action.

It seems the only thing your BIL could have done would have been demand cash there and then, refuse to supply bedding and send away the extra guests. Not a situation any of us probably want to put someone in who's minding the shop for us. They were able to take advantage precisely because you weren't there. Why do these sorts of things happen when we're away on holiday I wonder!
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I've sent the invoice. Will report back whether it gets paid or not..
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......