Guests Gender

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Lindsey / Lindsay is one of those Leslie / Lesley or Francis / Frances names. The male / female split used to be well understood but the division has blurred over the decades. I knew a male Lindsey who was Scottish and apparently it was quite a popular boys name there but the female form has become more usual.

'My' Lindsey had bright ginger hair and I think that had more impact on him than an ambiguous name ever could.
alcooper

Guests gender

Post by alcooper »

moral of the story - call your kid Dave !
Essar

Post by Essar »

Many of you won't remember the Yorkshireman All-In-Wrestler called "Big Daddy" his real name was Shirley Mason - no it's true!
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
pambon

Post by pambon »

Normandie wrote:Lindsey / Lindsay is one of those Leslie / Lesley or Francis / Frances names. The male / female split used to be well understood but the division has blurred over the decades. I knew a male Lindsey who was Scottish and apparently it was quite a popular boys name there but the female form has become more usual.

'My' Lindsey had bright ginger hair and I think that had more impact on him than an ambiguous name ever could.
We can add Robin/Robyn to that list too!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

With our email confirming price and availability, we also ask for the full names (as they appear on the passport) of each member of the party, plus gender if not obvious. So anybody with a Francis/Frances, Tracey/Tracie, Jean/Jean (French man or English girl!) type name should already be aware of possible confusion and should advise us accordingly.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Many of you won't remember the Yorkshireman All-In-Wrestler called "Big Daddy" his real name was Shirley Mason - no it's true!
It was 'Crabtree' Essar.....my gran used to love watching wrestling on a saturday afternoon so I knew them all!
His nephew, Eorl Crabtree, now plays for Huddersfield rugby league club....and is a thoroughly nice young man.

Mousie (wrestling expert :P )
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Essar wrote:Many of you won't remember the Yorkshireman All-In-Wrestler called "Big Daddy" his real name was Shirley Mason - no it's true!
Marion Morrison anyone? :wink:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Middle name 'Mitchel'?

John Wayne?

My uncle was a big cowboy fan....so I know a bit about westerns too :P

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
pambon

Post by pambon »

pambon wrote:
Normandie wrote:Lindsey / Lindsay is one of those Leslie / Lesley or Francis / Frances names. The male / female split used to be well understood but the division has blurred over the decades. I knew a male Lindsey who was Scottish and apparently it was quite a popular boys name there but the female form has become more usual.

We can add Robin/Robyn to that list too!
I swear when I wrote that I had NO IDEA that the OD enquirer of last night who confirmed this morning, informed me his wife's name is Robyn!

Just goes to prove that coincidences DO exist - sometimes!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Mouse wrote:Middle name 'Mitchel'?

John Wayne?
Tha hell he was there Mousie!

BTW, Googling "John Wayne" reveals some very diverse slang terms; I don't recommend it.

Oh, you've gone..........