Shall I Say No?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
apexblue

Shall I Say No?

Post by apexblue »

"....and we always try to leave properties that we stay in as we found them!..."
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Could you please give us a little more context?
Was this written or said in a conversation? What was the preamble?

Generally I would see this as a positive comment but it would depend upon the context.
Marks

Re: Shall I Say No?

Post by Marks »

apexblue wrote:"....and we always try to leave properties that we stay in as we found them!..."
Guaranteed it will be a tip :(
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
rammy100

Re: Shall I Say No?

Post by rammy100 »

Marks wrote:
apexblue wrote:"....and we always try to leave properties that we stay in as we found them!..."
Guaranteed it will be a tip :(
+1

It's like those who volunteer that they are "clean freaks" when the exact opposite is almost always true.
Here we go again........
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

That sentence would be more to my liking if it didn't have the word 'try' in it.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I wouldn't be fazed by that comment. It acknowledges that at least they make some sort of effort to tidy up after themselves, which let's face it many don't.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I put that in the same category as 'we're holiday home owners who also rent out, so we fully understand how things work' They never do.
:P

And yes we have said that too....but left the place immaculate.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I would take heart from the 'try' word as it is actually one I would use, never being absolutely sure that everything is going to be exactly as it was and perfect perfect. We strive for perfection but I never claim to definitely reach it whether preparing for guests or cleaning up after ourselves at somebody else property. I think this is a better promise than one who says they are definitely going to be the cleanest tidiest guest ever! Their standard of 'clean and tidy' often falls well short.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I once had guests who it turned out, they owned a B&B themselves. They instigated a conversation about how bad the rooms are sometimes left and assured me they would leave my cottage spotless because they understood. Yeah right - result - mental note to self not to ever stay at their establishment in the future. :lol:
teapot

Post by teapot »

In contrast our last guests did leave it immaculate, like to hire them as cleaners and do changeovers. Only the cobwebs remained but that only takes the spider things 30 mins to re construct.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Spiders are little blighters!! I've walked around a just cleaned house to find a web has been spun in the time it has taken me to mop through.

Hence I would never complain about the odd web in a rental property.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I love that comment.

Last year at a house I look after, but don't clean, the family of renters said that....alarm bells.

Turns out as I know the cleaners well the daughter has the behavioural disorder where you can't throw anything away so she bagged up 2 weeks of nappies/food/rubbish & hid it in every storage space in the villa. When the storage became full she then started putting the bags behind cabinets/wardrobes etc.

I had a family do the same at mine a few years ago, its really quite worrying, I think in the UK you would get reported to social services as there are children involved.

The comment that really gets the alarm bells ringing for me is
'we are a resourceful family' - you may as well wait for the phone call saying we are lost/had an accident/forgotten our passports....
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

The dirtiest state I've ever found my house in 7 years was by a family who said "We'll treat it like our home home".

Now when anyone says something similar I'm scared to death of what might happen.
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

When we we starting out we rented to a colleague and he said something similar 'We left it really clean'...but when I went in, there was dog slobber all over the french doors, and I mean all over. Plus they forgot their bedlinen and borrowed ours. It was returned to me beautifully washed and pressed but covered in black dog hairs that took me a couple of hours to remove...and that is why I always insist that even if it is friends who visit, my cleaner goes in after them to clean. I have learnt over the past year that many people's understanding of really clean is often not the same as genuinely really clean ready for paying guests!
Oh I do like to be beside the sea...

www.bumblebeecottagefiley.com
Owners Direct: 8151873