Internet Access Do your guests really need it

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Well, what an interesting thread! I've completely changed my mind and as a result of what Alan in particular has said, I'm going to give wifi access to guests in the future (hopefully it will work with repeaters) as it won't cost me a fortune. I might even invest in a laptop for guests' use!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

This is an embarrassing question, given that I was until very recently an IT Manager :oops: , but I was under the impression that you would have to have at least one PC installed and operational in order to set up a network. Have I got this horribly wrong? i.e. Can I really set up a WiFi network with no PC on site?

Also, how do I find out whether I can have broadband at my property? It is very isolated and I know that it wasn't possible a couple of years ago, but maybe it is by now. I am in France.

Thanks for any advice!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

CatherineS wrote:..I was under the impression that you would have to have at least one PC installed and operational in order to set up a network. ..
Well, actually you do need a PC in order to set-up the wireless router/modem. But thats only a 5-10 minute once-off job, and thereafter your original PC need not be attached, and anyone can turn up and connect wirelessly - subject to whatever security you choose to set-up.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Catherine,
Also, how do I find out whether I can have broadband at my property? It is very isolated and I know that it wasn't possible a couple of years ago, but maybe it is by now. I am in France.
The simple answer is to visit your nearest France Telecom showroom. They will check that your local exchange has been converted for broadband. If it has they will test your line for quality of signal and tell you whether or not broadband is available to you. If you are very isolated and/or more than about 5 kilometres from your local exchange your chances are little better than nil. You should still the option of ISDN if you want to improve performance over dial-up modem. With ISDN you also get the benefit of a second telephone line.

To instal and do the initial set up and to make any subsequent changes to your settings you need a PC attached, otherwise you don't. I've found any problems with the network are usually fixed by powering down the network box for maybe 20 seconds.

Fluffy
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

e-richard wrote:thereafter your original PC need not be attached
:D Wow! That's great, I didn't realise this!

BUT...
Alan Knighting wrote:If you are very isolated and/or more than about 5 kilometres from your local exchange your chances are little better than nil.
:( Poo! This is not so good...

I don't know that I can justify the expense of an ISDN line, unless the prices have tumbled dramatically in the past couple of years.

(sigh...) :cry:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Catherine,
do you have a phone number at the property? if so you can see what broadband posibilities you have here.
It would probably cost in the region of 30€ per month (incl.fixed line and ADSL)
FT are constantly improvong the ADSL coverage and have around 95% of the country covered, unless you live on a mountain, the ADSL potential is quite good. We've just had a capacity upgrade here too, 1.2 MB now - and I'm over 4kms from the exchange.
A-two

Post by A-two »

The cable company tech support told me that if the Linksys Router ever stops working properly, it's probably something they have done to it remotely and it just needs resetting, which as Alan says, means unplugging everything, then plugging back in so it can reset itself with the modem. It's happened twice in a year at my place and never at the rental to my knowledge. Also, since the router only cost $49 in the first place, if there ever were a hardware problem with it, it would be cheaper to throw it away and buy another one than have anyone look at it.

So I'm rather confused that some people are talking like it's a dishwasher or car that you would need a mechanic to come round and take a look at to fix if it breaks down.

Anyway, Linksys has free 24/7 tech phone support, so all you would need is a note of the Owner ID label and Serial Number and you could deal with anything remotely. Usually, your cable company tech support will have the correct number for them. They too can fix things remotely and reset your modem. If there really is no phone support for you, then I'm sure they offer some means of contact by email thru their website.

So for me, the Wifi is not something I worry about going wrong, and any geek charging 25 euros to unplug it and plug it back in would not be offering good value in my book, but then I don't provide a PC with mine and it's an open network, so I'm keeping the set up as simple as I can. In my experience, if it's sufficiently important to the guest to have the internet connection in the first place (and for some it's crucial), then they want their own laptop anyway (or at least bringing one is no big deal for them).

Am I missing something?

P.S. For those still debating the value of installing hi-speed Wifi, you might be interested to know that I just had a booking extended 4 days because of it. They were due to travel to New Jersey for a few days of business before returning to Europe, but enjoyed themselves so much, they decided to stay put and do everything over the internet and by phone instead. The additional rent has covered a whole year's high speed internet service and the cost of the router as well. I rest my case.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,
Am I missing something?
In my opinion the answer is - not a damn thing!

I have no wish to upset anyone but I think this sounds like an example of the modern trend. The "Ah - Yes - But" approach to life. Find the problems and if they don't exist then invent a few.

When you get down to it the truth is often different from the rumour. I am no expert but many people claim to be but without much idea of what they are talking about. I often find that things are really much simpler than the “experts� would have me believe.

I often think that the benefits of things get drowned by the problems and then I find the problems are hypothetical rather than real.

I should stop now and get off my “high horse� otherwise I'll become a "problem".

Fluffy
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

you would need a mechanic to come round and take a look at to fix if it breaks down

Joanna

I'm happy to be shot down by Alan and other experts, but a new router (or whatever) does need a bit of configuration to have it up and running, and depending on security settings etc. it can be simple or more complicated. If you're happy with 2hrs to their techsupport in Madras, then go for it.

Any queries on ours (in Switzerland) are dealt with online by the guy who installed it (now back in the UK). It's a bit of a pain, as he won't give me the access passwords, but he takes full responsibility and doesn't charge. Only 2 queries in the first year, and cured by rebooting (quick on/off on the mains swtich) - same in UK.

We've had several bookings on the strength of offering broadband access, and, as you say, it's only a day or so extra which pays for it all.

MG
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

MG, I also had my wifi router installed for me to save my nerves and have had one call-out since. All very quick and painless though, so it can be done quite easily whether you are a DIY-er or someone who needs a little hand-holding...

Jenny
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, I agree, and could do well to imitate your positive mental attitude Fluffs, having graduated from the University of Half Empty with flying colours!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

MG,
I'm happy to be shot down by Alan and other experts…
If I ever appear to be trying to shoot people down or to be making claims of being an expert I hope you will tell me. I am only trying to help where I can and to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

GG,

Being an optimist I went to the University of Half Full. That means that my colours are at half-mast but they’re on the way up, not down.

Fluffy