monthly bookings in the low season? How much to discount?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
MoonFish

monthly bookings in the low season? How much to discount?

Post by MoonFish »

We are based in the Caribbean, out of the hurricane belt so we have generally quite nice weather but a huge drop in guests because they can holiday near to home and enjoy similar weather.

The entire island runs dry of visitors for long stretches during this time, so I am considering offering monthly rates for the shoulder and summer months (in addition to the weekly/nightly rates) in order to attract guests, but how much do I discount? I might bring in very little across the entire period May to end of November, generally less than we make during a full week in the winter with both villas and the apartment booked solidly.

I don't want to attract people who will disrespect the property, which seems to happen each time I discount, so advice is welcome. Also, there is no washing machine in the villas, so I was considering including 2 loads of laundry a week and a morning housekeeping visit along with the weekly linen change? We generally don't do laundry or housekeeping at all, unless it's a family with kids/they've been somewhere else first (like sailing) or a preganant lady, or if guests is staying 3 weeks or longer I'll do some laundry, but no housekeeping.

I also do not want to attract local residents/expats/etc who will want to bring all their friends over to hang by the pool all day and use the bathroom as we are on a beach with limited toilet facilities. I don't want to sit around playing Mrs Meany blocking guests at the gate, and my insurance company would be very unhappy!

Advice appreciated!
A good friend will help you move house - a great friend will help you move a body...

www.moonfishvillas.com