Compensation for missing Dishwasher

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Essar

Post by Essar »

greenbarn wrote:However, I don't think offering a "washing up experience" would work as an attraction.
You could offer that one to Alton Towers - they'd bite your hand off. :lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
goosie

Post by goosie »

You've probably decided by now but in the past we've sent a bouquet of flowers to the holiday house with a sorry card in it when something like that has happened. It is just a different gesture not too expensive but different from the normal compensation.

On the other hand when the heating failed over Christmas and new year in our second year of renting we refunded 1/4 of the booking without them asking I felt so bad about it (we did get the engineer out in Christmas Eve and three days later who semi fixed it and provided oil filled radiators in all the rooms but even so....)
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Just had a similar situation a few weeks ago. Group of 10 folks staying for 2 weeks and after the first week the dishwasher packed up. Our usual technico gave an apt for the following week after the guests had left. We kept them informed and also there is another dishwasher in the adjacent building if they wished to use it. No mention of compensation.

Some years ago the fridge decided to pack up in August. the height of summer and the technico appointments would be weeks in advance. We simply bought a new one and got it delivered within hours of the initial call. Now we have 2 fridge freezers in the kitchen which many guests seem to like - one for food and one for drinks/booze!

Sadly, appliances in holiday homes are no different to appliances at home - they can and will breakdown without notice. In our case we react differently depending on the appliance - the fridge is an essential item and was replaced asap. Communication with guests is key.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Personally I think sending flowers is not really appropriate for holiday rental guests. What are they going to do with them? Take them home on the plane? Even if the guests are resident in the same country it is unlikely they will bother to take a bouquet in a car full of people and luggage. Sadly the nice gesture will probably end up in the bin as they depart.
Ele

Post by Ele »

Casscat wrote:Personally I think sending flowers is not really appropriate for holiday rental guests. What are they going to do with them? Take them home on the plane?
Totally agree Casscat. I think this idea may have been picked up from some general suggestions I made about possible gestures if we've let down a guest in some way..…though I did say send flowers 'when they get back home'…..

Joffan - as you since said the guests were moving to another of your houses to continue their holiday, that's even better as you have the opportunity to make up for the dishwasher scenario while they're still in your hands and send them home happy! If it's not too late now, I'd be more inclined to go the wine / bubbly route. Or perhaps if you've got to know them a bit you can think of something you'd know they would appreciate, that they can enjoy while still on their holiday.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Coming a bit late to this thread, I agree with those who think that a dishwasher is a big deal if there are 10 of you - different altogether for small groups. If I were looking for accommodation for 6 or more people a dishwasher would be a deal breaker. This is especially true of family groups as they tend to eat in more for reasons of economy than groups of couples or singles.

Flowers are nice but would not cut it for me - a case (6) of nice wine would make me feel much better... :lol:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I've sent out hampers to guests on their return home on a few occasions. They've been really well received. But you can't send a hamper to each family staying in such a large group can you? You won't have all their addressees for a start. I think it's a case of wait and see if the dishwasher returns during their stay and if not then a big apology and a financial 'gesture of good will' (that's what my ex-boss called it when she would not pay me my (pro rata) annual bonus as I was on maternity leave.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
goosie

Post by goosie »

Cascat the majority of our renters are driving and booking for weekends so don't have the usual full luggage. I know flowers have been well received and taken home as they're not dumped in the bin when the cleaning is done. But I appreciate that different rental set ups mean it isn't going to be appropriate for everyone - and some people don't compensate at all so it's horses for courses.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I'm surprised at how often I see flowers and cards in the window in my cottage, placed in beer glasses so I've recently purchased a large vase. Most of my guests arrive by car from the UK and often are celebrating something, but I can see that flowers wouldn't be appropriate for a foreign visitor arriving on a flight.