new MSN search engine

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,

We are using two different search engines although they are both Microsoft.

Using the MSN Search I first appear on page 6 but that points to my postings on Lay My Hat. Very interesting but not much good for selling my holidays properties. I appear again on page 15 and that is my Areca Webpage.

Using the MSN Search with the simple criteria of Monflanquin I am No. 1 but again that points to my postings on Lay My Hat. My holiday properties appear at No. 8 on the first page.

Has anyone any real idea how these Search Engines actually work? I must admit, I haven't got a clue.

Alan
MadDogWoman

Listign

Post by MadDogWoman »

Brooke
I just did a search and you came third on first page but after at least 3 sponsored lisitings both at the top of the page and at the side. This MSN engine is looking more and more llike Googole by the minute!
Nicola
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Has anyone any real idea how these Search Engines actually work?
I read somewhere that over 90% of the staff at Google don't actually know 'how' the search engine determines its results. Even those working directly on the 'formula' are split into separate departments and only given a 'portion' to work on.

So basically, the answer is .... no.

But of more importance though, isn't the main question 'why' not 'how'?

Alan, you are top of MSN (via laymyhat) because MSN values laymyhat has an informative, quality resource.

Sitting at top position for a search means you will get visits to your property listings, even if they have to go via your laymyhat profile or signature. Obviously, a percentage of visits turn into bookings, so the more visits the better.

Also if you had you're own website, it would benefit from all the 'incoming' links and so gain positions with the search engines. Just a thought ;)
paolo

Post by paolo »

Brooke,

Yes I get the same result as you - a spectacular success, especially for the shorter phrase. However, 1 and 2 for that phrase is a costume hire shop, which mentions the colour Burgundy! That suggests that this search engine is far from fine-tuned.

Whether this is a blip or not I don’t know, but MSN is returning individual owners’ sites right up there among the rental listing sites even for plural searches (‘rentals’ instead of ‘rental’). For instance ‘burgundy holiday rentals’ puts you about 5th on page 1. On Google you are outside the top 100 (and possibly very far outside).

Perhaps MSN is not taking account of inbound links yet? Anyway, I like this search engine! My sites are right up there. Don’t bet against MSN eventually taking over Google’s crown, Microsoft doesn’t usually settle for second place.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
paolo

Post by paolo »

Has anyone any real idea how these Search Engines actually work? I must admit, I haven't got a clue.
No. Nobody knows - and that is why there are so many SEO 'experts'. Some are good at their job, and then there are an awful lot of people taking advantage of the fact that nobody knows the truth.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
willemijn

Post by willemijn »

Brooke,

did the search "holiday rental france burgundy" (without quotes) and you are Number 1.

It matters maybe also which msn search one is looking at, as there is search.msn.co.uk and search.msn.com
Willemijn Lindeboom
www.villainumbria.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Ah-hah! I hadn't searched on the .co.uk -- just the .com. On the .co.uk I am not anywhere on the first page. Perhaps I should register my domain as a .co.uk and point it to my .com webpage.

It seems like that would be the most natural explanation for the differences between Alan's and Paolo's (and my) search...
Brooke
goo-rat

Post by goo-rat »

vrooje wrote:Ah-hah! I hadn't searched on the .co.uk -- just the .com. On the .co.uk I am not anywhere on the first page. Perhaps I should register my domain as a .co.uk and point it to my .com webpage.

It seems like that would be the most natural explanation for the differences between Alan's and Paolo's (and my) search...
Hi Vrooje
I would be very carefull using redirects, you need to use a 301 (permanent) redirect not a 302 (temp) redirect, using the wrong one can result in you being dropped from the g**gle index completely.
Also be aware that you will also be penalised if you exactly duplicate your site content on two seperate domains.

In optimising for the msn search you musn't forget that g**gle is an important source of traffic too. :roll: and it is likely that msn will have the same sort of filtering too.

HTH
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

David --

Thank you for that tip! I'll be sure to use a 301 redirect.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten google -- in fact I didn't even know we were listed with fairly high placement on MSN until this thread started! :)

Cheers!
Brooke
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hello Brooke. It took up your challenge :D and using www.msn.co.uk, found the following:

holiday rental france burgundy no. 1 was discover-france-holidays.co.uk, with experienceburgundy nowhere to be seen! Sorry!

holiday rental burgundy no. 1 was www.villarental.co.uk.

I'm not at all technically minded, but I tend to do these sort of searches on a computer other than my own so that the results aren't distorted by what's in my cache. Is that maybe what is happening? Or are you using msn.com?

Cheers

Christine
www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk
www.troutbeckcottage.co.uk
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Christine:

Yep, I was using msn.com -- you're right, I show up nowhere on msn.co.uk :)
Brooke