France - breakfast in room price?

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
Cassis

France - breakfast in room price?

Post by Cassis »

Guests tell us that the chambre d'hôte they stayed in before coming to us charged for room and breakfast separately.

I always understood that chambre d'hôte must include breakfast in the price, and that only hotels can charge room and breakfast separately.

Am I right or have the regs changed at some point and I just haven't heard about it?

Edit: I ask because if you don't include breakfast it can make your rates a lot more competitive at first glance!
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

If it's changed it's news to me, Cassis!

From the first paragraph of the current service-public site:
La location d'une chambre d'hôte meublée comprend obligatoirement la fourniture groupée d'une nuitée (incluant la fourniture de linge de maison) et du petit-déjeuner.
pete

Post by pete »

i dont think its changed either
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

We charge a separate room and breakfast price, but we also market ourselves as a gîte and chambre d'hôtes... could they have stayed in a place like ours and got muddled? We have the 2 options because we have a kitchen available - if we didn't, we wouldn't consider just offering a room price.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

I didn't think I'd have missed a change as significant as that, so thanks for confirming.

The place in question is purely a chambre d'hôte - no question of it being a meublé de tourisme or a gîte rural which offers an optional breakfast service.

I wouldn't mind so much but things like this only add grist to the hoteliers' argument that chambres d'hôtes should be more strictly regulated.

As far as I'm concerned we get enough breaks compared to hotels without nicking one of their points of differentiation.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.