how to mak guests write a comment either bad or good

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
anmar1

how to mak guests write a comment either bad or good

Post by anmar1 »

:) Hello I am new, we have two holiday homes in Tuscany, my husband is not new to the business and I was a marketing person...in these tow years we have many guests, some of them came back, but I do not succeed in making them wirite a comment on guest book,mind we have 5 units and 8 in an old XVII century farm) and other three in a XIX countryhome.
Every apartment has its guest book 8 with suggestion , maps, restaurant etc).Can you pleae help me?

Ciao to all Anna
Anna
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Welcome!

Do the guestbooks have entries in them already? Usually it is easier to get people to write if someone has already written something.

For the first entry, you may have to make special note of the guestbook and tell them something like, "we've just bought a new guest book, so if it strikes you, please do feel free to write the first entry!"
Brooke
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Brooke is right, once you have managed to get a couple of comments, it does encourage other people to write - there is nothing more daunting than writing the first comment! Make up the first comment yourself if you don't want to ask someone to write one.
I only added guest books for the first time this year and there are loads of good comments, but not everyone who stayed this year wrote - most of whom I know really enjoyed their holiday and others who were repeat visitors from the previous year. So writing in guest books is not to everyones taste. My other half Steve, for example, who is extremely extrovert and never short of anything to say, absolutely detests writing in them!
A-two

Post by A-two »

If I'm reading this correctly, you're not giving them a separate guest book at all, rather you're expecting them to write comments in the guide book, which has details of local activities, maps etc. If so, my suggestion would be to buy a special guest book for each property, which has "Guest Book" prominently printed on the cover. Leave it in a place where they can't miss it with a pen on top. Then, when you are talking to them just before they leave, ask them to sign it, including any recommendations they may have for future guests. Sorry if this is too obvious.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

anmar1 wrote:
in these tow years we have many guests, some of them came back, but I do not succeed in making them write a comment on guest book
Hi Anna

We had exactly the same problem when we arrived in France two years ago. New owners, new property, no feedback from previous guests. We tackled this problem by giving each gite its own A4 loose-leaf visitors book (with a striking picture on each cover) and set the ball rolling by writing a little about us and our dogs and our reasons for coming to France inside the book. When the guests arrived, we were honest and explained that, as we were new to the area, we really needed their help for the benefit of future guests. We asked them to write about their experiences (good or bad) of our property and the locality - what they enjoyed and what they didn't.

Once the first few guests had shared their experiences, it quickly became a 'badge of honour' for the next family to add to the pool of knowledge. On change-over day, we copy the information and put it into all three visitor's books for the new guests. When you've only got a short time to enjoy yourselves, its great to know what to avoid as well as what to visit.

It's been a great success and provides a helpful resource for new visitors who all say that it's much better reading about 'real' experiences than trying to decide from endless tourist brochures.

Anna, you have to make your visitors aware that their comments are important to you and your future guests. They will observe that you're making a huge effort to give them a great holiday, so they'll usually be more than happy to help you in turn.

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Oddly, we didn't have a problem with getting the initial entries, and have had some lovely feedback, as we all do, but only one family so far has contributed in depth, with useful tips and an account of their experiences. Guests may be held back by the dimensions of the book, which is closer to A5! Oh well, when it's full, we'll upsize! And maybe when I'm next down I can add a little note on the inside cover, telling people not to be inhibited, and to write write write!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
anmar1

thank you

Post by anmar1 »

:) Thank you , thank you.. for all your replies.. I do hope you can understand my bad English.
Anyway..I got from you all some good Ideas and I will surely use them.
It is so good to be able to "speak" with people that have the same problems...

thank you again.

Anna
Anna
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Yes, when we first put out our guest book, I put a laminated letter to "dear guest..." inside the front cover, hand signed by myself and OH, then filled the first page myself with ramblings about our first visit (mostly shopping trips for house stuff).

Very soon we got loads of comments, but what really tickled me was some pages filled with multi-color drawings and scribbles by kids. Somehow this takes the formality away, and seems to remove the inhibitions other guests may have ?

I have often wondered whether to write more myself, just to keep the momentum going. Do any of you other owners who also use the property for holidays write your own entries ?
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

No, I don't but once someone e-mailed me and said they forgot to write in the book cos they were in a hurry,she went into a detailed description of what they had liked especially and a couple of good places to eat so I asked her if I could put that in the book on her behalf? I wrote her comments,word for word, in the book with a brief explanation that this was someone's e-mail. A couple of our guests have actually made comments about the book itself in the book! :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Anna,
I do hope you can understand my bad English.
I for one applaud your English skills and I realise it cant be easy when we all have out little slang words and sayings that dont make much sense...[me especially...]
I found your posts totally understandable....[unlike mine]

I tried a Spanish course once and since then have nothing but admiration for people who have mastered other languages....

Please keep posting and let us know how your comment book comes along. :wink: :lol:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

e-richard wrote:
I have often wondered whether to write more myself, just to keep the momentum going.
We've been tempted but have resisted it. Likewise we don't allow comments from friends or family when they visit.

We want the guests books to be written by guests for other guests. Anything that even hints the owners are suggesting a local restaurant because the waitress gives them free aperitifs in return for recommendations would be counter-productive. Every man has his price - and mine is pretty low!

Jim