Exotic Holiday Rentals

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
susanm

Exotic Holiday Rentals

Post by susanm »

Just had a rather strange call from someone at 'Exotic Holiday Rentals' in London claiming to have two sets of guests (from Australia and Denmark) who wanted to stay at my property for more than three weeks each in September/October. I was very suspicious (nice as it is here, a 3+ week holiday....I don't think so!!) and immediately I said I don't take bookings via agents. He said he wasn't an agent.....so I told him to get his 'guests' to call me directly in that case. Anyway, after me probing some more (and trying to understand his very poor English) I hung up.
Anyone else had a call?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I think I have had them ring me some time ago. Honestly I get so many calls from India I can't remember who rang when and mostly I put the phone down on them before they even get a chance to start to explain. They were most likely trying to get you to list on their scammy, spammy, website for some "special price" so they were trying to excite you with their mythical guests to reel you in. Generally, I am sorry to say, if you hear an Indian accent, it is a scam in the making (the Microsoft scam being a particular case in point).
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

Just received a call from a Croatian Mobile number (00 385 99 2164813), with an Indian-sounding lady saying that she had guests who wanted to book our farmhouse in October and November. When I asked the name of the company, she confirmed it was 'Exotic Holiday Rentals'. The same sales pitch, the same scam and no doubt a call center somewhere on the South Asian subcontinent using call routing. I told her I would connect her to our Vice President Ronald Trump and then transferred her to our call blocker.. :twisted:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

AngloDutch wrote: I told her I would connect her to our Vice President Ronald Trump....
Just when you thought it couldn’t get worse - Donald Trump and Ronald McDonald’s love child... :shock:
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

:shock: :D :D
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Sarlat Lady

Post by Sarlat Lady »

I've just had an Indian lady call me from Exotic Holiday Rentals telling me she had guests lined up to fill all my dates for October, November, December and wanting me to pay 280€ per year to list on their website after about 15 minutes of sales pitch. I said I wouldn't pay that for a well established listing site, never mind one that only had one listing for my entire department. When I suggested she give me a 6 month free trial she said it was against their rules and regulations, however "if you will just pay the registration fee..." at which point I hung up...
I'm not as green as cabbage looking