Contact form on a mobile responsive site

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Nemo

Contact form on a mobile responsive site

Post by Nemo »

I've had a few guests contact me by phone, text or facebook message me as they say they couldn't use the contact form on my website. It's a PIMS embedded form.

I think it's down to the limitations of only having a mobile responsive site rather than a specifically designed mobile site. What seems to happen is the form gets cut off so they can't see the bottom of the form to press send.

I can't see a way round this; it's one of the compromises that comes with mobile responsive, that not everything works correctly on small screens.

The only solution I can think of is to add an email address so that people can use that if needs be, but being aware that it will encourage spam. I suppose I could use a gmail email and change it if the spam becomes too much. Any other suggestions?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Your only way round it, Nemo, would be to use a contact form designed for a responsive site - you're encountering one of the problems with a non-responsive widget on a responsive site. It was one of the things I encountered with the calendar in my 'flirtation' with PIMS.

I've always shown my business email address on my sites as well as having a contact form, and have never had much of a spam problem. Gmail deals with any that comes in - I just check the spam folder every couple of days.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I currently use an email address hosted on my server, but it does get a fair bit of spam, although it's now several years old. I would need to use gmail for its strong filters I think but then forward it I guess, as I use Outlook? Do you use an email alias too if you're using gmail? I know of the terminology, I just don't know how to set it up!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Um - I don't know what an email alias is!

I set up gmail to collect mail from my domain email's server (and leave a copy on the server that I never ever look at :? ); I simply reply from within gmail, but using the domain email as the 'send from'. Nobody would ever know that gmail was involved unless they studied the header.

Is that an alias? Sounds like it might be :wink: :oops:
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

FC explained the form problem and accessing an external POP3 server using gmail perfectly.

If you put your email address on a website it should be at least encrypted to reduce the chance of being harvested by spammers. I'm totally against using things like gmail for a business email address, as I think it looks very unprofessional, although there is no doubting it's ability to reduce spam. I am personally very suspicious dealing with firms that have a nice website but use gmail or hotmail. It can however, be used as a web based reader for another account.

As you are using Wordpress, there are several free contact form plugins which can be used to give you a responsive form. These will link to any email address and you don't need to publish your address on your site.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes I could use a responsive form, but the point of having my current form is that it populates my PIMS software. For the odd few that it doesn't work for, I'm not abandoning the PIMS form as it's hugely time saving with three properties on my books.

I'll have to have a read up about email alias. I was trying to avoid using another email from my server but I don't know of another way. A gmail address would have a stronger filter. I'm not sure my customer base would be terribly worried if they had to reply to a gmail address. This all needs some thought though!