Some reflections as a rental guest and rental owner

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
revdev

Post by revdev »

Heading back to NZ for Dec/Jan and our extended family always hires a beach house for a week/10 days.

I can honestly say, that everytime, the beach houses were cleaner when we left than when we arrived.

The reverse is also true for our own villas in Turkey! :)
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Circé wrote:My problem as a manager for far away owners is that some owners are really mean about supplying loo rolls, bin bags, cling film etc etc. I think leaving ONE dishwasher tab and ONE washing machine tab just looks so petty - and I feel it makes ME look like a mean or careless manager when I'm just following client instructions.
My problems as an off-site owner are just the opposite. My management team do not supply enough. The roll of bin bags is even taken away. I often have one bin liner when I arrive myself, and it often doesn't fit the bin as it probably belongs to a different bin in another apartment. One loo roll, increased to two, but I asked for four. I leave a box of dishwasher tablets and a bottle of laundry liquid in the cupboard, but they are allowed to run out and are not replaced. I need to tactfully ask for a new list of items to be left without it looking like I am being a moaning minnie.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I started to read this thread, and being an on site owner thought "oh gosh, I hope it's not referring to my cottage" but as I read further I realised I wasn't guilty of any of the offences. Phew.

My biggest bug bear when renting a cottage would be somewhere to put items down in the bathroom. I've stayed in many places where there is absolutely nowhere (even in hotels). Can't bear having to put my clothes and toilet bag on the floor.

Second would be curtains like tissue paper that let too much light in.

Third would be noise disturbance from the owners.

With regard to the approach from the owners, that is a very difficult one. I have in my profile something like "Once we have checked you in, we will leave you alone to get on with your holiday and you may well not see us again until check out. However, we are always on hand for any queries, and taking our cue from our guests, we are always happy to chat". I assume that anyone booking a cottage with an owner on site is not expecting absolute privacy, but it puts the ball in their court to choose how they want to play it.