Cost of Solar Pool Cover

For anything to do with the garden and pool
ianthy

Cost of Solar Pool Cover

Post by ianthy »

Hi

Just starting to get quotes to order a Solar pool cover. I posted earlier in the year (sorry I can't find the post) that we wanted to upgrade our villa offer and one of the areas was pool heating. After doing research we want to try a low tech solution first before doing anything more technical involving the pump or solar panels etc.,

Our pool is 6x12 metres and we have a quote for a Geo Bubble Sol + Guard, 180 Super Deluxe at a cost of £850 inclu del to Italy plus a Free Standing Atlas roller (for covers up to 6.1m wide) will cost £500.

It seems pricey. Please can anyone comment if these prices can be bettered or recommend a company that will supply to Italy.

Thks for reading.
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

I use poolstore.co.uk for my supplies (in the UK)...I suspect they might well ship to Italy (one can but ask).
Have a look at their site : you can enter your pool measurements for a quote on the Geobubble covers (but check comparable) : seem cheaper for the higher quality they do.
Rollers: again, they have a selection : see how they compare.

I'm sure Teapot will be along with his suggestions, too (which may be more relevant)
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

removed.
Last edited by ianthy on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I am in spain & paid c 300e for my pool cover. It adds 2 degrees to the water temp, the solar heating a further 6 degrees.

The roller was c 400e from memory, it's over 10 years old.

Top tip - cover your cover with white cloth & sail ties, I got an old duvet cut & sewed to make a wrap round cover, or the sun will eat the cover when it's rolled up.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Mine disintegrated in 3 years, the kids ruined the roller by climbing on it, probably to dive in the pool and guests never used it so had no effect on waters temps unless I was staying there myself. Didn't replace it.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Zingara wrote:I use poolstore.co.uk for my supplies (in the UK)...I suspect they might well ship to Italy (one can but ask).
Have a look at their site : you can enter your pool measurements for a quote on the Geobubble covers (but check comparable) : seem cheaper for the higher quality they do.

I'm sure Teapot will be along with his suggestions, too (which may be more relevant)
Hi Zingara
I just checked Poolstore site and the cost is £856.00 plus delivery for the cover, leading edge finish, stand and cover for the stand when not in use. Less than half what we have been quoted. I have just asked them for the cost of del to Italy.
Thks
Last edited by ianthy on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teapot

Post by teapot »

ianthy wrote:
Zingara wrote:I use poolstore.co.uk for my supplies (in the UK)...I suspect they might well ship to Italy (one can but ask).

Hi Zingara
I just checked Poolstore site and the cost is a staggering £576.00 plus delivery. Less than half what we have been quoted. I have just asked them for the cost of del to Italy.
Thks
Mind if I cross check that for you? 12m x 6m rectangle with no fancy steps etc? Do you want it hemmed or just plain cut? Some idea of the post code for delivery as Italy is quite big and costs vary.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

teapot wrote:
ianthy wrote:

Hi Zingara
I just checked Poolstore site and the cost is a staggering £576.00 plus delivery. Less than half what we have been quoted. I have just asked them for the cost of del to Italy.
Thks
Mind if I cross check that for you? 12m x 6m rectangle with no fancy steps etc? Do you want it hemmed or just plain cut? Some idea of the post code for delivery as Italy is quite big and costs vary.
Sure. I just checked the items again. I have included the factory fitted leading edge kit, we have 3 steps into the pool but it does not affect the overall shape of the rectangle pool. Plus a stand/roller and a cover for when the stand/cover are not in use. Just checked again and the price is actually £856. Still seems reasonable. Waiting for the price of delivery to Bologna area.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

We have just paid 577 euros for a 13x6m pool with a 3m dia circle at one end for the roman steps. This was for 400micron thick, trimmed all the way round with a protection cover for when the covers stored on the roller.

Cash Piscine was a little more expensive, but delivery didn't suit was much longer.

We reckon it adds about 2 deg to the pool temp, more if it was left on during the day, but the guests keep wanting to swim :?
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

Whilst (as far as I'm aware) we don't have the problem of children climbing on the roller etc, I agree with Kev that the guests often can't be bothered to put it on / take it off each day.
It may focus their minds that, if they heat the pool, it may cost them more if they don't put the cover on at night (which really helps retain the heat).
This is particularly true in the shoulder seasons, and even with a pool heater, we would be hard pushed to maintain a swimmable temperature in February/March (in S of France) unless we put the cover on.
Our UK pool is only 15m x 5, and we have one of their least expensive rollers. It has lasted well, however I might look at a more sturdy one next time, as the cover is quite a weight to roll as it gets towards the end.
I think a cover is useful to retain heat, and may contribute a small amount to overall water temperature, but is probably best combined with an source of heating, for maximum effect.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Our guests are simply told the temperature of the water is their affair, use of the cover will make it more pleasant. Ours do use the cover and one regular questioned where it had gone one year after a rip, we had removed it.

There are budding Nadia Comaneci's so a small warning is in the house guide so far so good.
The longer (wider) rollers are in sections about 2.5m long so if possible getting a wider roller and sliding more of the sections inside will considerably strengthen the roller should you have a gymnast staying.

A cover is a definite source of heat retention and if it's clear it will also contribute a considerable amount to the heating of the water during the day. Obviously for use outside of the normal season a heater is the preferable option as is an insulated pool structure, something to always consider.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

After 17 yrs of renting and supplying a pool cover then the people who decide to use it do not bother to cover it when rolled up and therefore it degrades with sun exposure. No matter how many times you ask it makes no difference as its not their cost to replace.
Its for this reason we have not invested in the better designed and quality of Geobubble type covers.
What would Plato do ?
teapot

Post by teapot »

There have been improvements in the UV resistance over the years. It's those nasty thin ones that give such a bad reputation.

The shape of the Geobubble means it's about 50% thicker in the weak spots of ordinary covers and as they are curves and not corners they are much stronger anyway.

When the water restrictions in in force I do explain that the pool must be covered when not in use and so far to my knowledge all the guest happily complied. We have lovely guests.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

teapot wrote: The longer (wider) rollers are in sections about 2.5m long so if possible getting a wider roller and sliding more of the sections inside will considerably strengthen the roller should you have a gymnast staying.
Yes, that was my problem. My pool is nearly 7m wide at one end and only 4m wide at the other (a really weird shape!) so a wide roller was required and there was not a huge overlap in the sections. Enough for the weight of the cover but as the roller had to be placed at the deep end, it couldn't cope with being used as a diving platform.

Due to the irregular shape of the pool, it also was not simple to unroll.

I also felt it was a big danger to kids. Even if they could swim, it would be so dangerous if they fell onto a floating cover. You'll find plenty of Youtube videos showing kids trying to run across the covers.
teapot

Post by teapot »

kevsboredagain wrote:
I also felt it was a big danger to kids. Even if they could swim, it would be so dangerous if they fell onto a floating cover. You'll find plenty of Youtube videos showing kids trying to run across the covers.
In theory the required pool security in France should be there to safe guard the pool but obviously if you have a security cover it won't be in place when the solar cover is on so reliance on an alarm or gate and of course with parental supervision :?

The pool covers for free form shapes are always tricky. I worked on one L shaped pool that had two electric covers perpendicular to close over the L. Now I have two electric covers :lol: