Rotating banner pictures

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.

Do you find rotating banner pictures distracting?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 34

teapot

Post by teapot »

Jimbo wrote:I'm generally not an admirer of rotating banner pictures, but I have seen occasional examples that work well. Technology marches on - what was awkward and clunky yesterday may well have advanced into something far more exciting today.
teapot wrote:How long does a video take to load Kev?
Perhaps a more pertinent question might be "how long does it take to view the videos, Kev?"

Beautiful properties/locations, attractive people and stylishly shot snippets. But - for me - the time dragged. Couldn't get away from the thought that most of these scenarios could equally well be recreated as still shots and thereby convey the same information in a fraction of the time. The essence of a great still is that half minute of each video distilled and crystallised into one magical instant - the 'decisive moment'. All the rest is fluff and would be discarded on the editing table.

I want to view banner pictures quickly and then have the ability to settle down with enlarged versions of those that are relevant to study in more detail. It's the 'controlling' element of non-stoppable rotaters and videos that I don't like.

But a good job on that website Kev - impressive stuff.
I don't think Kev expected all of his videos to be watched on just one site, they are a collection? of his excellent work.

I am sorry maybe to an artist they can read into a still but moving images are even used in a local fried chicken restaurant and I asked them if sales had increased and yes! what could be more static than fried chicken but sales are up and if i can hire a model and do a half decent job I would/will maybe....
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

teapot wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
But a good job on that website Kev - impressive stuff.
I don't think Kev expected all of his videos to be watched on just one site, they are a collection? of his excellent work..
The example I gave was from a rental listing site. Nothing I've done, as of yet.
teapot

Post by teapot »

On your to do list?
Certainly got me thinking, must re do website this year, now before next years bookings.

Oh dear now I have to go back and figure out how I did the last one about 8 years ago!
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Now I'm worried about my website :cry:
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Now I'm worried about my website :cry:
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

kevsboredagain wrote:The example I gave was from a rental listing site. Nothing I've done, as of yet.
Apologies. Jimbo will always be Lewis and never Inspector Morse!
Jim
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Sam V wrote:Now I'm worried about my website :cry:
Don't worry, Sam. I think your website is lovely. But I am a fan of PMP and the banner pictures. I like to gaze at an assortment of moving images and it doesn't distract me if I am reading further down.

I wonder if it is a man/woman multi-tasking thing? We can cope with doing/seeing two things at once? In fact, most of us thrive on it! Although, I realise here that some women don't like the banner pictures. For those who don't like stuff moving at the top of their screen, can't they just move the side bar down?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have one on my homepage, big header photos, but they don't change very rapidly (every 7 seconds or so??) I think they are nice, but I agree, lots of smaller photos that change rapidly can be distracting.