Utility rates and Alojamento Local

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
OrangeBlossom

Utility rates and Alojamento Local

Post by OrangeBlossom »

I registered my apartment in Tavira with Alojomento Local earlier this year. I have just had my first paying guest and now I have received a letter from Tavira Verde telling me that the domestic tarrif is not applicable where AL activity is undertaken and asking me to pay €170.
No-one at the Camera informed me that I had to notify anyone or that any changes in tarrif would apply but obviously, they have informed Tavira Verde. My Portuguese isn't very good so I'm not sure if the amount they are asking for is a kind of deposit or a sum to change the tarrif, an extra amount per year, or a fine or what.
Can anyone enlighten me?
Does anyone know whether the same will apply to EDP? I'm not intending to rent the flat out full time, only a few times a year so if it's going to increase my utility costs dramatically, I'm not sure whether it will be worth my while.
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

It's a worrying development if it's a change of tariff but the Tavira Verde website details its rules at http://www.taviraverde.pt/regulamentos.php?reg=agua which include the following:
ARTIGO 20.º
(Caução dos clientes não domésticos)

1 - Para garantia do pagamento de água e do aluguer do contador, os CLIENTES não domésticos são obrigados a prestar caução, nos termos previstos nas cláusulas seguintes.
2 - A caução poderá ser prestada em numerário, cheque ou transferência electrónica ou através de garantia bancária ou segundo caução de acordo com o previsto no Anexo I .
3 - Será exigida a actualização ou o reforço do depósito de garantia ao CLIENTE que não satisfaça pontualmente os seus débitos¬.
5 - A TAVIRAVERDE poderá exigir aos CLIENTES a actualização do depósito de garantia de conformidade com a actualização do tarifário de água.
6 - Os depósitos de garantia serão reembolsados no termo do contrato de fornecimento e depois de liquidados todos os débitos existentes da responsabilidade do CLIENTE.
and translated by Google:
ARTICLE 20
(Guarantee of non-household customers)

1 - To guarantee payment of water and meter rental, non-domestic CUSTOMERS are required to give security laid down in the following clauses.
2 - The deposit can be paid by cash, check or electronic transfer or via a bank guarantee or as collateral in accordance with the provisions of Annex I.
3 - updating or strengthening of the security deposit to the CUSTOMER that does not meet punctually its débitos¬ will be required.
5 - The TAVIRAVERDE may require CUSTOMERS updating compliance security deposit with the water tariff update.
6 - guarantee deposits will be refunded in the supply contract expires and then settled all existing debts of the CLIENT responsibility.
Might that be the explanation?
OrangeBlossom

Post by OrangeBlossom »

Thanks, that would seem to explain it. I've just got the letter and am leaving for the UK tomorrow, so guess I will have to sort it long-distance as I doubt they work on a Saturday.
Not sure why I would need a guarantee when I pay be direct debit, but that's bureaucracy, I guess.