OIL METER

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
catherinedonegal

OIL METER

Post by catherinedonegal »

I have now installed a meter in the house that registers how much oil is used.

I tell the arriving guests where it is, how much each litre costs and to leave the money on the kitchen table.

They all bugger off without leaving the money!

I need a pay by use meter for oil.

Any ideas where I can get one?

I have one for the electricity but not the oil.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I am sorry but not aware of any such devices. Will your appliance that uses the oil be ok with being cut off and switched on frequently as the meter is fed (or not)??

We have oil central heating at home and at the cottage along with an oil fired Aga style cooker, but all the heating and cooking costs are included in the price people pay to rent the cottage. This is standard in our area and any other approach was not allowed by the agent that we used when we first started out.
I really wouldn't want to upset the cooker - she can be temperamental at the best of times!
Could you not just adjust your rates to take account of your heating bills (annual ones are best to work this out).
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Could you deduct cost of oil used from security deposit and put a note to this effect in your contract terms?
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

Thanks for the replies. I guess I might have to factor it in. But it is difficult here as I am pretty much at the most expensive I can get for the area but still not great compared to many and then you get ppl using tons of oil which is expensive here too.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I think you have a problem with this. Presumably, people will want the property hot when they arrive; but if the pre-payment meter runs out during their last night, then they aren't going to put more money in for that short period.

And if people are coming from outside the Eurozone, they aren't necessarily going to have the coins/notes that your pre-payment meter needs so won't be very happy if they arrive late and cannot get any hot water.

And as Zebedee says, your oil appliances aren't going to like running out of oil frequently and having to be reset.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I'm confused by the replies. Is this merely a meter that records the oil's consumption or a prepayment coin meter? If you want them to leave the money on the table, it suggests it is the former. If that is the case, then deducting from the security deposit would be the way to go.

It is more worrying when running on oil, especially when you can physically see it running down and depleting. Our old cottage had an oil boiler and they can be very expensive if guests leave the heating on 24/7 with windows open, although oil prices are at an all time low here at the moment (but still not cheap).

Alternatively, you could work out the average usage, add a bit and tell them how much is included, with the excess being charged for. It would focus their minds, but on the other hand, do you really want guests worrying about whether they are going to run over?

You could just include it and add a paragraph to the welcome brochure explaining how expensive it is to run and asking them respectfully to use it responsibly i.e. not leaving windows open when in operation.

Sympathies. Oil is always a tricky one.