Niggly problems

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Alan

Groups like that we can suss out in advance.

If we offered B & B in the Vatican, in general it would be self-policing - i.e. no Hells Angels (although the local Swiss chapter are charming, and congregate in the poshest café in Montreux), Nigerian lawyers, chav reunions.

What we would really like to know is how you sort out the 'right sort' of guest in advance, sleeping soundly in the knowledge you don't need a deposit.

Or are you saying the 'wrong' sort of guest wouldn't want to stay in what you are offering?

MGoat
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

MGoat,

I have no way of knowing what people will be like, individually.

All I am really saying is that my area and my properties appear to attract guests who behave responsibly towards me and towards my properties. I think living in close proximity to the properties has an influence. The swimming pool is within sight and sound of my house. I see my guests on and off the properties and I have a little drinks party with them during their stay so I get to know them and they get to know me.

All these things add up and influence guests’ behaviour, I think.

Of course breakages happen but I am usually told “we broke a glass, or whatever, and we have replaced it.�

Fluffy
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Alan

I think living 'on site' is the clue for us, and meeting them live. That makes more sense now.

MGoat
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I'm another "no deposit let". It really put me off the time we rented an apartment in France and we had to be "checked out" before we got the deposit back.

We do say to let us know of any damage and accidental breakages aren't charged for. The few times things have been broken, cups, a glass lamp shade - the guests have left more than enough to cover the damage voluntarily.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

I know I can count on you to keep ME posted on my postings
Sorry about that Ros :oops:

My daily routine here in downtown Britney is that I stumble out of bed about 9ish, have a leisurely breakfast, & then sit down with a cup of coffee & read the latest postings.

By that time you have been up half the day, about 80% of the last postings read 'Ros' & I then spend the next hour reading what your latest thoughts are. I must admit, they make me chuckle as well! Don't forget as well, I am trying to reach 100 before you reach a 1000. (no bl***y chance)

Yeah Yeah, I know it is off subject & in the wrong place - Sorrry.

Robert
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

soodyer wrote:I'm another "no deposit let". It really put me off the time we rented an apartment in France and we had to be "checked out" before we got the deposit back.
That's a different issue and I wouldn't like being 'checked out' on departure either, so if I were on site, that would not happen; I'd be embarrassed to do so anyway! But Soo, I don't understand why this experience put you off requesting a damage deposit?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have been 'checked out' of French apartments too, and was even ticked off for leaving salt in the salt cellar :shock:
Our French guests have all expected to be met on departure to check off the inventory with our apt. manager, but I have drawn the line at her returning their deposit instantly.
The deposit gives us a 'cushion' if you like, and is far easier than getting back the money later. I wouldn't charge for occasional plates and glasses etc, and say so in my information.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I must admit, they make me chuckle as well!
Thats Ok then Robert.... :wink: :lol: