Power Supplies / Hot Water in Rural France

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
Charfoulet

Power Supplies / Hot Water in Rural France

Post by Charfoulet »

Hi,

does anybody have any ideas as to the best / most economical way of supplying power / hot water in rural France?

I need to use bottled gas for cooking but for hot water, heating and actual electricity for the house I am completely confused... I am completely open to suggestions whether renewable energy or traditional sources... any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

You need to take into account the house construction, geographical location, existing insulation, existing glazing, type of VMC (if any), how the house is used, budget, whether you'll be there to see a return on more expensive "green" installations like geotherm etc. - it's a complicated question.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Charfoulet

Post by Charfoulet »

Hi Cassis... it is a complicated question... The house is a shell right now so can be moulded the best way possible... it will be a CDH...
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Whatever else you decide, I would go for independent electric heating in your guest rooms if you'll be open outside of summer months. That way you can heat their rooms even if you don't think it's necessary for the whole house i.e. keep them separate from any CH boiler you may decide to install for your own quarters. For B&B you'll in all likelihood need a large separate HW tank for the guest rooms. We've only three guest rooms but we've got two 300l hot tanks.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
JaneS

Post by JaneS »

Cassais is right about separate water heaters. I have one 200l for the house and another 200l for the CDH/gite. If you can I would have the water heater for the CDH where you can control it. I have relays on my water heaters which automatically turn on the water heaters when EDF turn on the cheap rate and turn them off when EDF turn on the peak rate. I can also turn them off completely, so when the CDH/gite is not in use for any long period, which is useful. I can also turn them on during peak rate if I need to.

I think you should think about the Kilowatt supply and whether you are able to have a separate electricity supply if your CDH is in a different building. I have two electricity supplies and they are both 18kw for each of the main house and the CDH. Yes EDF class me as a mini industrial estate which my wonderful electrician told me I could easily be the power supply for. I suggest also before you install anything to speak to a French registered electrician and tell him what your plans are, how many bedrooms, etc., and ask him to advise as to which KW supply would be best for your needs. I say this as EDF/ERDF charge to change the fuses to correspond to an increase or decrease in KW suppy. It is not cheap and it does take ERDF time to come round and change them. I apologise if you already know this, but the KW supplies are 9KW, 12KW, 15KW and 18KW. The bigger the KW supply the more tax you will pay on your bill.

If it turns out you need a large KW supply and you need work done to bring the electrics up to standard, I suggest Legrand boxes and fuses. You will not be able to go down to Brico and pick up a Legrand box and fuses for an 18kw supply; it is not run of the mill stuff. My electrician was quote €169 without TVA for one fuse, but we both found a website which was selling them at half the price and they were selling all genuine Legrand parts. I suggest also that you ask your electrician to map your board on paper for you so you know which fuse corresponds to which appliance/area.

I spent a lot of time with my electrician sorting the electrical aspects in the house and I learnt quite a bit, so I hope my experience helps you.
JaneS
ejc-free

Check with a french electrician

Post by ejc-free »

Dyes do ask a french electrician, as we have a pretty good supply, oil fired central heating / hot water but our electrical supply can only support 2 major appliances at a time....we can manage with this as long as we utalize overnight for the washing machine, but occasionally I forget and then find that the trip goes and I have to go round re-setting everything. It means I have extra bedlinene and towels so I am not reliant on using the machine during turnarounds.....
Carpe diem