Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Email preferences

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livinginitaly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Email preferences Reply with quote

Email can often be very confusing to 'setup' with a wide variety of options.

Personally, I use Outlook, Outlook Express and a number of 'webmail' accounts at Yahoo and Google. Then again, I find myself with over 40 active email addresses!

The simplest way to recieve email from a new domainname, in this case normandybeachrental.com is to set up a 'catchall' on the server that 'hosts' the website. During this 'setup' you are asked to enter the email address where all emails will be forwarded to, in this case it's Tansy's address at 'wanadoo.fr'.

Now, all email sent via the domain will end up in Tansy's wanadoo account. So enquiries 'at' normandybeachrental.com, bookings 'at' normandybeachrental and you-can-type-anything-here 'at' normandybeachrental.com will be allowed.

A problem could arise whereby a person could send an enquiry to enquiries 'at' normandybeachrental.com and when Tansy replies, it will come from Tansy's address 'at' wanadoo.fr

Many may not see this as a problem, but some would say it's better / more professional to reply using the same domainname. In many cases, the webmail host, in this case wanadoo provide an option where the 'reply' address can be changed to solve this.

The other alternative, is to set up a POP3 account using Outlook, Outlook Express, theBat or any other pc based email software.

This involves, manually inputing access details into the software to allow your pc to securely access your mail storage area on the server where your website is hosted. Not too technically challenging, but can lead to some confusion the first time you perform it.

I have noticed though, that IPowerweb seems to have a good feature that looks like it will download the mail settings to your pc and autoinstall ..... very useful Smile

How does everyone else access email?
vrooje

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep our info@ e-mail as its own and check it along with my other mail in my e-mail program (In windows, it's Mozilla Thunderbird). I check several e-mail addresses simultaneously from my e-mail client and just filter them into their own folders, so they stay organized.

I like having the info@ identity stay that way rather than responding from my personal e-mail or my yahoo e-mail. My personal e-mail is for all sorts of random stuff, my yahoo e-mail is for forums, groups, and signing up for stuff that I'm pretty certain will try to spam me. My property domain e-mails are only for rentals, so when I see that inbox in bold I know it's something to do with our house and it's therefore urgent.

As an aside, I also have several aliases set up that all point to the info@ e-mail: payments@, gite@, rent@, vrbo@, etc... that I use for stuff like paypal and different rental listing sites (to keep my enquiries straight). It helps me, but it probably isn't for everyone.

Cheers!
How to build your own personal website from scratch