Website critique please

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
brightmike

Website critique please

Post by brightmike »

We have been up and running since Spring with ongoing amendments to the website.

I am very thick skinned so will not be offended by any comments, honest.

www. myb right on pad .co.uk

p.s. Phase 2 is to create a mobile version which has NOT been done yet.

Thanks for your time :D
Last edited by brightmike on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Apart from the static layout which you already know is causing problems on small devices, I think the site content is pretty good.

The only part I didn't like was the facilities page using the little pictures, one of which I could not determine what it actually was. After clicking on it, it could be towels but can't be sure.

You have a stunning place there and I think having a gallery which can show bigger photos would really work well.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Hi Mike, I think you've changed your photos recently?

Not sure about the generic beach huts one along the top - didn't you used to use that stunning kitchen pic?

Agree with Kev that the generic towels/etc next to the facilities doesn't seem to do you (or your pad!) justice.

One other tiny comment - when looking for accomodation I always like to see immediately how many it will sleep - and in how many bedrooms, iyswim.

8)
teapot

Post by teapot »

I thought it was a beach hut initially, white towels on a white background and placed too squarely to be of eye interest, a jaunty angle would look better. In fact to me the little pics don't really convey the quality of your fittings and appliances.

Otherwise what a lovely place, I am guessing the gallery will have more than 2 photos when completed.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Fabulous place - I would major more on the great photographs on your home page and maybe put the Brighton pics on another separate page somewhere. I think if I was on your website then I would already have decided to visit Brighton and just be interested in the accommodation, and how near it was to everything.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Nice place. It seems larger and more impressive than I would expect for somewhere described as a "pad" so maybe the number of bedrooms/bathrooms should be shown on the front page?
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi

I will put my view forward but its just my personal view!

i think your selling yourself short! If you have google analtytics on your website have a look and see how many pages visitors look at. Also look at which pages they look at. When i first looked at these stats on my website i realised visitors on average looked at 3 pages one of which was not my best page showing off my apartment! After very little effort within days this changed and all guests visited the main page i wanted them to see ie my apartment details page.

On your site. I feel i should land on your site and instantly think WOW THIS IS THE ONE!!

Its an amazing place you have but your home page is too safe. Your doing well highlighing photos of Brighton BUT I would guess most people who arrive at your page would be set on visiting the town and are just looking for a place now. So i would sell on the homepage that yours is the best. Go on the basis they will only probably look at a few pages and get this home page to scream I AM STUNNING!!

You have all the photos in my view to do this. Beach hut header is quirky but your kitchen is amazing. Get a feature picture of two maybe and have the photos jump out and say look how fab i am! You could sell it on the home page in my view.

There we go. Said it now :-)
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Wow, Mike, what a stunning house! I'm surprised you want hordes of guests tramping through and messing it up! :D

I agree with the others about your home page, both photos and detailing how many it sleeps, in what configuration.

One last point - I'm not keen on being sent to another site to read reviews. Could you not copy and paste some (or retype some of your guest book comments) onto your site, and ask subsequent guests to post a review direct to your site (if that's possible)?
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
JaneS

Post by JaneS »

+ 1 PW. I have just shown Brightmike's site to OH who agrees he would not let guests in their either. The kitchen is a work of art and I am almost going green with envy. Are those Neff appliances? You should be very proud of what you have created at your house.
JaneS
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

Thanks for all the kind and constructive comments!

Having fresh eyes look at the website is very helpful. On reflection I totally agree about the pictures on the facilities page, I will replace them with some that the photographer has taken.

Also agree that the homepage should mention number of bedrooms, bathrooms etc.

I am torn on the ideal of the homepage, removing the Brighton pics. I can see the logic of what you say but I used them to put the pictures of the property in the context of Brighton. What do others think on this specific point?

I wanted to banner to be wide but not deep, hence the beach hut picture, but perhaps this is an old fashioned idea now on websites. It is actually of Brighton (well Hove) so not yet sold on getting ride of it.

More comments still welcome :D
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

Forgot to say I do have Google analytics but have not made time to review them yet. Must get on to that!!!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Can you have another page with all the Brighton/Hove photos and info about the area? Then you can really wow with the Home page. :D
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

Thanks again everyone!!!

I have updated the home page with some details about number of guests, rooms etc

I have also put my swanky new photos on the facilities page.

I will also be looking for a more major update soon so may come back to you again.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Think your site looks really great.
i think I would keep Brighton pictures on the home page.

One thing I am often asked about is parking - I wonder if you need to say anything about this??
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

+1 to other comments. Lovely looking house. Someone else has already mentioned the static nature of the site. Your Google Analytics or equivalent should tell you what % of users this is affecting so I won't harp on about that one :)

The only small thing I'd change is the photos page. Your carousel requires users to select what room they want to look at before they scroll through pictures. If there were any way you could have the Carousel be one continual roll with the rooms acting as a book mark vs a hard stop / start by room that would be a nice tweak.

Other than that, good job :)