Processing Credit Card Details

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
donnylu

Processing Credit Card Details

Post by donnylu »

Does anyone know of a company where I can process a customer's credit card details but not with the card physically. Meaning I have all the details but just need a mechanism for processing it. Based in Spain. I usually can use Paypal but not working for me now so looking for alternative.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Often thought about this myself but the problem for me is I don't have a smartphone for the modern apps. (but that's a different issue)
There are two I know of PARLEVEN.ES and SUMUP.ES. Parleven is London based but accepts payments to businesses in Spain. So does Sumup but I don't know where they are based.
There may be some difficulty registering as they ask your business status. If you don't have a registered business try the "autonomo" option and use your NIE number. If you're in Spain for the long haul and haven't registered a business the easiest and basically "no cost" start-up is "comunidad de bienes" which you can register as long as there are 2 or more partners.
Both these pay options give you a gadget and app for your phone so you can accept payment "en sitio" at the rental property.
I'd love to hear how you get on.
PS. I believe the commission is 2.75%
donnylu

Post by donnylu »

Thanks costabravarent. I am actually on sumup and works ok. However you can only process if you have the card physically. I need to process a card without a card physically in hand.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Worldpay Zinc? Not with them and have no idea about Spain, but they came up as a possible option for me when reseacrhing and they have a PAYG version.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

The system I use at the moment seems strange to lots of people but has worked well for several years. I take 20% deposit by Paypal and occasionally by bank transfer. For the balance I prefer that they pay in cash on the collection of the key. They have the option to pay the balance by Paypal before they come but very few take this option. Although it sounds risky to wait till the last minute for cash it has never failed (so far).
It means that the guest is less worried about forking out so much in advance and for me it saves the Paypal commission.
pete

Post by pete »

We use the mobile option on Sumup to do cardholder not present transactions
donnylu

Post by donnylu »

Thanks Nemo. Accepting credit card details has been so empowering and I now have no guests walking off so easily. Once you have their cc details they toe the line much better.

Costabravarent you might regret not having the details if they cancel with only a deposit made last minute.

Pete I am on sumup. How do you do this? They clearly state on their website this is not possible although I do believe it was before.
donnylu

Post by donnylu »

Thanks Nemo. Accepting credit card details has been so empowering and I now have no guests walking off so easily. Once you have their cc details they toe the line much better.

Costabravarent you might regret not having the details if they cancel with only a deposit made last minute.

Pete I am on sumup. How do you do this? They clearly state on their website this is not possible although I do believe it was before.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Been doing it for over ten years. Nobody walked off yet! And I walk off with 3% more in my pocket. It works. I promise.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

costabravarent wrote: Although it sounds risky to wait till the last minute for cash it has never failed (so far).
It will probably fail one day. I tried it once and although the people did turn up and eventually paid, it took several visits by the cleaners to extract the money. That cost me call out charges and a lot of stress.