Final cleaning clause in rental contract

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi Maria. I've got the same problem as you.I've never deducted any money for cleaning even though sometimes the place has been seriously messy but even the clean ones don't seem to think about the BBQ and there just isn't time for a good clean of the burnt on mess. I can't decide what,if anything, to do about it :roll:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi Fraise,

Generally so far, our villa is left in good order so I can´t complain. It was only when the topic was raised here that I realised my OH (designated BBQ cleaner) always complains about it at changeovers.

I was thinking of placing a lighter smaller grill (grid) to lay on top of the heavy one that they could perhaps put into the dishwasher after heavy dirt was removed. I don´t know if this is a good idea or not?

Maria
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Maria and Fraise -

We have the standard equipment: a heavy-duty wire bristle brush, a steel wool brush with handle and another scrub brush. We try to replace them regularly so they stay fresh and clean.

Since we started asking people to give a quick scrub immediately after cooking (about 18 months ago), there have been no real problems. And guests don't seem to mind. In fact, I think our guests appreciate any/all efforts towards cleanliness and higiene.

Maria, we haven't yet deducted extra for cleaning either. One guest left €35 on their own accord as an "executive decision"... it was all in good humour and really quite funny. Maybe you had to be there. :lol: Fortunately, it wasn't a back-to-back. (BBQ wasn't that dirty either.)

Like I said, I think it is mostly a result of gently asking that they give a quick scrub after each use. The cleaning fee is written on their instructions but not mentioned... so the emphasis is on our request to not leave nasties rotting/caked on the grill. I say something like "I'm sure this will seem second-nature to you, but please give the BBQ a quick scrub after each use to knock off remaining foodstuffs ..." which leads to the "well, yes, of course" response.

Obviously, just because this is working for us doesn't mean it will work for anyone else. And I'm sure we'll tweak the process again someday. Continually learning...
debk
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

BBQ - great, useful comments - it seems a universal problem on changeover day, and I will suggest to our caretakers that they phrase a request such as you've suggested Deb to all new arrivals, and we'll see if that makes a difference for us too!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I now ask that the outdoor area is cleaned (including the BBQ) and since inserting this sentence in the welcome notes (under departure day) there has been a dramatic increase in the number of grills that have been cleaned. No-one has complained. It is only the grill, as all the BBQs we have are brick/concrete. We do supply BBQ scrubbers for the job too.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

This seems to be the way to go then.When I'm over next I'll pop a little mention in my welcome/house pack,fingers ( and hooves for certain LMHatters :0) ) crossed for an improvement. :roll:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

At the place we stay at on the Ile de re every summer, the garden is communal (shared by about 10 properties) and there are about 6 brick-built barbecues scattered around (sounds horrendous but in fact it works really well and we have made many friends over the years!).
However, each property is given their own grill to use on any of the barbecues, but as we are supposed to clean the house on departure the barbecue grill which is handed back has to be clean too.

(btw, we always pay for a final clean, but all the french women proudly do it themselves).
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

we had a charcoal barbecue but no one ever seemed to clean it, so we threw it out and bought this electric one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ccessories

It is so much easier to clean & no charcoal lying about near the pool
A-two

Post by A-two »

Sounds like a few guests might need a "How not to burn your food" BBQ recipe book!

Slightly off-topic, but on the subject of BBQs, does anybody supply "grill toppers" ? I left some this year, but nobody used them. They're like the disposable foil oven trays, but flat sheets with holes. Not sure if they weren't used because they are no good, or because nobody knew what they were.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Joanna

One in three are dud, for some reason (damp?).

The ones that do work induce a such a foul chemical flavour on the food which means it has to be thrown away. Ongoing disagreement with Mrs G on this.

MGoat
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

we bought a Silicone Grillmat http://www.legourmetchef.com/Temp_Produ ... d=grillmat&

but nobody seems to use them !! They must think they will melt if you put them next to heat...good idea though.