Choosing domain name - .net or .es ?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Gordo

Choosing domain name - .net or .es ?

Post by Gordo »

Looking to set up website for a spanish holiday let and previously bought couple of domains using the name we gave the property.

Neither .com / .co.uk were available so I have just .net and .es

I'm wondering if there's any merit in choosing one over the other
or are there any issues if I choose to host same thing on them both?

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
PortugalGuy

Post by PortugalGuy »

i prefer .es

mine ends with .pt
Algarve Guy Renting houses
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

It depends on your target market. If you use .es and then only rent to UK clients, you'll put yourself at a huge disadvantage in the search results. .es would be more suited to a Spanish version of your site. When people search in English, in the UK, they will not be presented with many .es domains.

.net might be less country specific if you wish to find clients from several countries
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

Even if you decided to use .net you can still point your .es to your .net domain
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

Thanks for responses, much appreciated. Majority of guests to date have been French and all those have come via HA and their different country spin-offs as have some UK one's.

Rather than use a website as just a sales tool I'm thinking of it more as a central point of reference or home for all the supporting info a guest might need leading up to and during a stay (our place is fairly remote so a bit of hand-holding helps to save guests from wasting time).

Up to now I've compiled misc PDF docs but spent too much time this year emailing responses to specific queries which could easily be answered within a website.
brightmike wrote:Even if you decided to use .net you can still point your .es to your .net domain
Yes that sounds logical will do it that way.

Thanks again, nice to be nice :D

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…